Down to Winchester Bay, OR


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Winchester Bay
September 25th 2018
Published: September 26th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Winchester Bay, OR. Tried to drive from Cape Disappointment, WA via Tillamook Cheese Factory to Cape Blanco. 6pm and the sun getting low, it was time to settle in. The picture of a stream is from Stamp River Provincal Park, Vancouver Island, BC. There were falls and we could watch the salmon resting in pools below the falls before attempting (and jumping) to the fish ladder. Amazing commitment in the face of so much rushing water.

The beach rock is not Morro Rock but a rock off Ruby's Beach, Kalaloch, WA. The collection of drift wood is enormous but of course, you cannot collect any of it.

The little grotto is part of a Large Leaf Maple trail in the Lake Quinault part of the Olympic NF. The colors are indescribable yellows and deep green mosses. The leaves were dropping with the gentle breeze, backed by a peaceful little brook. Truly magical in effect. If you ever have the opportunity to eat or stay at the Lake Quinault Lodge - its a chapter from the early 1900s. Designed by the same architect who designed the Yellowstone Lodge. We had an exceptional lunch, looking across the lawn to the lake and mountains beyond - Liz Story playing in the background.

The last picture of the headland was 100 yards from our campsite at Cape Disappointment. The disappointment was in the 1800s when Captain Meares didn't find the northwest passage-he was looking at the mouth of Columbia.

Miss you all.

Bob


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb