The 24-hour journey home


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Salem
October 11th 2013
Published: July 1st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 44.9332, -123.043

Bonjour, family and friends!

We slept in our own bed in Salem, Oregon last night, with our dogs Charlie and Onnie by our side. It was the culmination and reward from a 24-hour trek back home that started at 5:30 a.m. Paris time. What sweet sweet sleep. And, thanks to Sharon's industrious burst last night, all the clothes are clean.

The trip from Paris to Salem, with flights from Paris to San Francisco (11+ hours) to Portland (another 2 hours), was actually pretty painless except for the obvious posterior targeting and leg cramping. While full, the United CDG-SFO flight was comfortable, clean, sans crying babies and cranky children (off-season travel a joyful perk of retirement), and equipped with a full array of media options.

Watched 'The Great Gatsby' (good movie), 'Now You See Me' (REALLY enjoyed that!) and its final scene in Paris and an area we'd walked just one week ago, and then, taste buds whet for another visual postcard reprise of Paris, pulled up 'Midnight in Paris' that we've seen before (Mike in particular really enjoys this one, an excellent later Woody Allen film).

The whole trip was close to flawless. Weather this time of year is nice in Paris --
Looking down the Seine RiverLooking down the Seine RiverLooking down the Seine River

From the top of the Eiffel Tower
only rained one day, and it was a day we were mostly indoors at museums -- and even nicer in Avignon in the Provence region of southern France, where it was sunnier and 10 degrees warmer than Paris, hitting about 73 every day.

Our Paris hotel, the Hotel Beaugency in the Rue Cler neighborhood, was very good and a good value for a Paris hotel, with a neat clean serviceable bedroom, a large bathroom with a great shower, and an excellent location two blocks from a Metro stop and large grocery store. Hotel Le Colbert, our hotel in Avignon, was absolutely wonderful, charming, comfortable, a great shower, walkable to everything, and warmly hosted by Patrice and Annie.

We had a great meal in both cities, and usually could eat well without breaking the bank (but heck, we were in France, so we're supposed to go out and eat), but at times it was a challenge to find simple, farm fresh, healthy food. We found ourselves skipping many restaurants posting menus full of duck, beef, foie gras, lamb, and fancy French sauces and preparation. The baguettes from the local boulangerie (bakery) or pattiserie (pastry shop) were constant companions.

However, if you go to Paris with romantic dreams of dining in sidewalk cafes and leisurely people watching, be prepared for a smoke-filled environment. While the interior of restaurants and cafes no longer allow smoking, it is allowed in outdoor areas. Outdoor tables generally were packed at meal times, and every single table is smoking. So, we healthy, clean-air Oregonians would always seek out the most interior of tables. As it seems to be throughout Europe, smoking is prevalent in every and any outdoor space.

We did not rent a car our entire 10 days in France and really enjoyed that freedom of movement. Paris is very walkable, and for quick getting around, the subway (Metro) system is fantastic, safe, clean, and easy to navigate once you dive into it. It's heavily used by Parisians in their every day commutes and routines. The regional train to Versailles and the high-speed TGV train to Avignon were equally easy to use, comfortable and fun rides. Avignon is not a small city, but the walled old city holds a population of around 12,000 and feels like a small, close-knot community itself, quite embracing of visitors, and an easy walk to everything.

We only ran into one truly rude Parisian, our waiter at a sidewalk café in historic old city Paris. As a whole, the French are not as advertised or stereotyped. While not bubbly and warm and cuddly -- if you want that, go to Australia or Italy -- the French are reserved but quite approachable and engaging, if approached in their language, respectful of their culture and language, and in the spirit of being an appreciative visitor to their city and country. The friendliest fellow travelers were the Canadians we encountered, as well as the Mexican couple who we dined next to us at Le Florimond in Paris.

It's time to put a wrap on the blog for this trip. Thanks for reading and for being a fellow (though vicarious) traveler with us on this journey. We've enjoyed your comments and hearing from you while making our way through Paris, the City of Light, and the country of France. Here are a few more pictures from the trip.

Until we travel together again, au revoir and bon voyage. Sante!

Mike and Sharon


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Saint-Chapelle church in historic old ParisSaint-Chapelle church in historic old Paris
Saint-Chapelle church in historic old Paris

Looking back toward the entrance from the altar.
Looking back at the Palace of the PopesLooking back at the Palace of the Popes
Looking back at the Palace of the Popes

From St. Benezet Bridge (Pont d'Avignon)
Starter dish at L'Epice and Love Starter dish at L'Epice and Love
Starter dish at L'Epice and Love

Eggplant (aubergine) mousse bathed in a provencal tomato-red pepper sauce with a fresh greens salad. This meal was off to a GREAT start!
Palais des Papes, AvignonPalais des Papes, Avignon
Palais des Papes, Avignon

Palace of the Popes, from across the Rhone River


11th October 2013

Welcome home! Loved your recaps and photos. You did a wonderful job of capturing the flavor of the country. Can't wait to have you two over to hear more of your stories. Till then, au revior ...

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0419s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb