Good Morning and howdy do!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Roseburg
December 12th 2009
Published: December 12th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a long and arduous battle, the house is sold! Those of you who know us best know the struggle that we went through to finally be able to follow our dream. That dream, of course, is to hook up a fifth wheel and blow this popsicle stand we call the northwest to explore the united states. Aside from a minor snafu that almost left us stranded for an additional 3 days, we have purchased our 2007 Carriage Cameo and left Washington on December 10th.
Bob was pretty nervous about driving down the road with a building behind us. He's also nervous about driving it in traffic, backing up, pulling in to a site, driving at night.... you get the idea. Of course my sudden and loud gasps for air didn't help his confidence any! We hit Portland at about 4:30 on Thursday. There is nothing in the world like being in a strange city on a strange freeway in the dark during rush hour in a huge duely towing a house with NO GARMIN! Well the Lord was once again watching over us and guided us through it with relative ease. The Portlandites were understanding and gracious to allow us plenty of room to move over when we needed to - or they were just getting out of our way, I'm not sure which. When we reached open road, we pried our fingers loose from the objects we had been clinging to for dear life to raise our hands to praise Jesus for getting us through safely - as well as everyone else on the road! We made it to Woodburn the first night and stayed at a park with a fabulous pull through (although it still took Bob two tries to get it in right!). It was really close to the freeway, but the Woodburn outlet mall blocked the sound really well. We had been able to hook up to cable and we watched the local news that night. Great. So turns out that Oregon is expecting Ice Rain the next day. I could see the beads of sweat forming ever so slightly on Bob's furrowed brow....
We headed out pretty early on Friday to see how far we could get before hitting anything that even remotely resembled rain. It was coming up from the South, so we wanted to get as far south as possible before pulling in for a day or two. We drove by a couple of parks in Eugene. They were both right on the freeway, with no barrier for the sound this time. We decided to keep going and looked for parks that were a little further off the freeway. We found a wonderful area in Roseburg called Twin Rivers RV Park. It's a fairly small park with lots of pull throughs (the manager even guided us in). We got this baby as close to level as we could for our first try and went about the task of making it home. We still had bins to empty and find places for everything, shelves to line, groceries to buy. We even had our first cooked meal last night! (note to Colleen: We have removed the battery from the smoke detector). We still have some "outfitting" to do and some purchases to make to get it more homey, but we're close. Allie is really struggling, but the cat is amazing. She is traveling really well and seems to be loving the adventure. Hopefully Allie will settle in once we get a routine going. We have decided to spend at least a couple of days here at twin rivers. There is a lot to do here in Roseburg and we are right across the street from "A festival of lights". It's no warm beach, but it's very nice. There are also some waterfalls and covered bridges in the area that we are going to go explore. Hopefully I will be able to get some pictures on here next time I post.
Well, until next time - - - Enjoy!

Advertisement



12th December 2009

Good luck!
Thank you for including me. It will be fun to follow your adventures.
13th December 2009

email
I will do it this way Marti and it sounds like you are normal at doing things you need to get some park and camper books so you will know where you are going and we have a book Called Trailer Life. Its a RV Parks, campground and Services book. It tells you what the campgrounds are like, maybe you have one already they have them at Camping World. Have a safe trip.
13th December 2009

Blessings
Got the blog link, seems to work fine, I will need you to send me emails for heads up to visit this as I tend to forget and have no intention on signing up for another site right now. May god bless your every endevour. Love you both have fun.
14th December 2009

reply
Thanks for including me in your journal of events. I will enjoy going with you and praying for your divine safety. Glenn had his transplant is well on his way to recovery. It went so smoothly, no big deal, except follow-up bloodclots in the lung which will be monitored now with cummedan. Praise for all things. We had our first snow flakes to day,Sunday, and all were a tizzy.. Take care and keep warm. Jacque.
15th December 2009

Good to hear from you!
It sounds like you are off to a good start on your adventure. I am sure that Bob will get used to driving a 5th wheel really quickly. It's a lot better than a conventional trailer. I have even driven ours, but of course I don't back up or park it! I leave that to Ray! Ray's mom passed away on Thanksgiving day and his sister is here from Germany. Needless to say our lives have been turned upside down. Christams is next week and I don't even have my shopping done yet. Plan to get it done this week-end. The kids were over to dinner with there Aunt Dale on Sunday and were shocked that there were not presents wrapped and under the tree and even more shocked that I didn't have any to wrap! I am sure I get it together by Christmas Eve when my extended family comes to dinner. Blessings on your travels, Kathy

Tot: 0.281s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.1602s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb