No turning back


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
June 22nd 2009
Published: June 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Crazy how things happen, but I am finally acting on a deep desire to explore this fascinating, turbulent world.
12 months of curiosity starting August 6th.
As a young American girl in the '70s, I stumbled upon a forgotten copy of 1001 Nights and came to idolize Sir Richard Francis Burton (1821 - 1890), master of cultures, languages, expeditions. To this day, my mom has no idea how the book settled on our shelves. "Of the gladest moments in human life, methinks is the departure upon a distant journey to unknown lands." Fortuitously, it landed in my hands.

So, I convinced my boyfriend to save his money(drink less beer), leave his job(seen our economy?) and make the mental switch to traveler/vagabond/nomad with his crazy girlfriend. Truly, the decision came from the Elephant cloud floating above one night while we lay under the stars, but that's another story.

So here it is, the start of an interesting journey.
Done- Vaccines, Quit job, Passport, save funds for 12 months, one way ticket

Lists of everything- Medical, Financial, Home, Mail, Things to cancel, Visas, Must do/see list

Things to do- Find 40L pack, put everything in storage, say good by to family, sort clothes, 2 pairs of shoes

I'm 38 and keep wondering, what the hell am I doing?





Advertisement



15th September 2009

12 months? nice! i'm planning to travel for a year too after graduation a december :)

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0308s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb