ORCA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Portland
February 2nd 2009
Published: February 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gig Harbor to Portland


ORCA For SaleORCA For SaleORCA For Sale

Our First Family Boat!
Meet ORCA! She is a 1983 Tayana 42, made by Ta Yang Yacht Builders in Taiwan. Before the first Robert Harris designed Tayana 42 was produced, it was reviewed by designer Robert H. Perry in his "Sailing Designs" Book, (Port Publications, 1980). Perhaps an overview of the yacht is best described by Mr. Perry's original quote. "The concept is to provide a yacht, that is particularly suited to long offshore passages with little or no compromising in the direction of the production, all purpose yacht…" He went on to say, "The Tayana 42 is built by the Ta Yang Yacht Building Company in Taiwan. Ta Yang has the reputation of being one of the most reliable and consistent yards in the orient. With the direction of Mr. Harris, they should produce a good product."

When we decided to exchange our two smaller "his" and "her" sailboats for a larger family boat, ORCA was the very first yacht that we viewed up in Friday Harbor, Washington, last winter. While it was "love at first sight," we had to continue shopping, just out of principle. We viewed dozens of boats from Seattle to Marina Del Rey during that spring. Still, ORCA's beauty and reputation called us back to her!

Summer 2008 was spent in the glorious town of Gig Harbor, Washington. What a treat! We made the 2.5 hour trip (one way) on Fridays and returned on Sundays, nearly every weekend. At summer's end, we brought her home to Portland, Oregon. She is currently just a short bike ride over the Hawthorne Bridge at River Place Marina in downtown, just across from OMSI. We are upgrading some of her equipment and adding some new toys to the array of gadgets and devices. Having her close by gives us the opportunity to play during the week and complete some of the improvement projects planned for this spring. We will keep you updated on our sailing plans and adventures!




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb