River - Forest - Fish - Yacht


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Newport
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

August 3, 2013 - Saturday

Another beautiful day on the Oregon Coast. First thing we took a hike on the Mike Miller trail a few miles from here. A very dense forest type of hike – didn’t seem like the NW Coast. Lots of Hemlock trees and we think, Black Spruce. It was a fun hike.

After lunch we took a drive along the Yaquina River Rd., along the river (of course). Saw some really great sights along the river and marshes: lots of herons, bald eagles, and even some Canada geese! It was a lovely ride and we returned via Rte. 101 back to Newport with a stop at a Starbucks for some Espresso for Will and a Chai Latte for Marge – her new favorite.

After our return it was time for our nightly walk to the pier and to see what the catch of the day held in store for us. Well, here was the same guy that had caught the 51 lb. Halibut yesterday and today he caught a 35 lb. Halibut. Marge couldn’t let it alone and asked if she could hold it and get her picture taken. He was very pleasant and said yes, after he cleaned off the slime – ick. So, she really didn’t go out fishing today and catch it, regardless what the caption says! Lol If you notice in the picture, he’s sort of holding it too, it was a bit heavy.

The Park Host came by, and by now we know him quite well, and he had almost a one lb. bag of frozen Coho Salmon for us! Caught right here in the Pacific Ocean on 7/31/13, so only 3 days old. Wow, what a gift!! I had to make him some of June’s scones, which he loved too.

Then we went on out to the pier and saw so many of the boats returning for the night and spotted an enormous yacht that must have just arrived. We left the pier and went over to the other side of the marina to get a closer look at it. It’s huge and even has 2 dinghies on the back deck. We had to come back to the computers and check it out. It’s called the Victorious and is 170’ long by 30’ wide, as wide as our trailer is long! It was beautiful.

A busy day, but another fun day in Oregon!


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



4th August 2013

Ears or noses burning today???
As the Nelsons', June, & I ate our dinners at Isheys, guess what the subj. was to start off our meal??? We are all making note of the foods you 2 are gulping down, & now, LATTES!!
5th August 2013

Just for the halibut...
Yep, that's some fish story! Can you imagine what it would take to lift the 51 pounder? I notice the trail appears to be lined with some sort of red...wood chips, stone, what is that? I loved the elf tree...isn't that where they bake those famous little cookies? I've never seen a black squirrel...sure it's not something else? A furry black marmot??? Okay, I'm rambling here...

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb