Looking For Whales - Great Day @ Sea! 28th and 29th


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Newport
July 29th 2013
Published: July 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 28, 2013

Another chance this Sunday to be able to watch our church service on ‘live streaming.’ That’s always great news when we can see it.

After the service, we walked around the park for quite awhile and then got ready to go into Newport. Headed to Georgie’s for some great clam chowder and fresh albacore tuna salad. Maybe one that we saw being cleaned last night… lol

Went into Newport and to the Marine Discovery Boat Tours and reserved a place on the boat for tomorrow – whale watching!! I hope we see some, the boat today didn’t see any. Praying for whales. We were content to sit on the dock there and just watch a silly sea lion and all the boats coming and going. One place along the docks had a machine that was de-tailing shrimp and there were truck loads of it going out. A job, we’re told, that goes 24/7. Interesting and smelly. Looked in a few shops, but we’re saving that for another day.

Went home to a cup of tea and then took our walk around the park, down to the bay and onto the dock again.

Stay tuned for the whales, hopefully.

July 29, 2013

After breakfast we drove down to the docks and got on the “Discovery” boat. Out to the Pacific Ocean we went, in search of whales. No whales, sad to say but a wonderful time seeing lots of fishing boats, a sea lion on a buoy, lots of Muures, a Bald Eagle, and some Pigeon Guillemot. A great 2 hour trip with a fun Captain and a Naturalist on board. We set crab pots on the way out and on the way back in, the kids pulled them up and there was only one Dungeness crab in each one, both males. They were both too small and had to be thrown back. The size limit is at least 5 and 3/4” and it takes them about 6 years to attain this size. Newport,Oregon is the Dungeness crab capital of the world. Amazing.

Back to the park for lunch and some laundry. Then our evening walk around the park and down to the bay and out on the Fishing Pier. Lots of crabs being caught tonight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



30th July 2013

Fab Pics!
Love them, love them all...esp the cute sea lions! How exciting!!!

Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb