Joseph Rodeo -Then on the Road to Newport, OR 3 day Blog 25-26 Friday


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Newport
July 26th 2013
Published: July 27th 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 24-26, 2013

We needed to move the trailer to a different site today. When reservations were made they could only give us 4 days in a regular full hook up site, so off to the overflow we go. The overflow is dry camping – no electric, no water, no sewer. We’re able to handle that for several days, but this was for only one day and night, so not a big deal. We were in a site right along the river, beautiful. Right after we got there, here come the deer – wow, right up to us, apparently looking for food.

After lunch we went into town and walked around a bit then went to the Slack. The is like a Pre-Rodeo event , more or less giving the rodeo participants a chance to hone their skills. So we saw some roping and tie downs.

AT 6 we went back to the arena for THE Rodeo. What a grand event; it started with the parade of flags (mostly advertisers, of which Dodge Ram is a big one); lots of riders on beautiful, beautiful horses. A delight to the eyes. Then out came Miss Rodeo Oregon and she did a lap or two around the arena. And of course, there was the visiting Rodeo clown, Back Flip – lots of joking around and fun stuff.

On to the main events! Some roping and tie down of calves was first; next came some mini bulls, bred for their smaller size – these were ridden by 10-14 yr. olds. Then the bucking broncs, some wild stuff! Next some steer lay downs and fun, fun, here come the little ones on lambs, out the gate. Ages 5-8, they were so cute. And last but not least, the bull riding. There were some really bad steer out there, we don’t know how anyone could hang on. It finished with “One Armed Bandit”, a cowboy with one arm who steered his horse with his legs; an Indian in war paint came chasing after him and then they let out the buffalo! Two big bison, bucking and running around the arena while the Indian and the cowboy chased them. That was the grand finale and a wonderful , interesting time it was. We just wish we could stay for the other nights of Rodeo this week, but we’ll be headed back to the Oregon Coast tomorrow.

July 25, 2013 Thursday

Travel day. We head back to Memaloose, Oregon just for the night. Tomorrow we’ll travel to Newport, Oregon and back to the coast!

We see the Dalles again, the Columbia Gorge, wind surfers in the Columbia, the windmills and dams like we did when we headed to Joseph.

This morning, at 7 a.m., we got up and looked out the back window at the river; right there by the river, grazing, were two bucks. What a lovely way to start our day.

Set up and walk around some, but not too much, it’s in the 90’s here. We’ll try to get an early start tomorrow.

July 26, 2013 - Friday

Travel day again. Head out for Newport. We’ll be on the Oregon Coast for the next 16 days. We have lots to do here and lots to see, but you’ll have to keep checking the blog to find out.

Arrive the park at 1 pm. Get the trailer set up and have some lunch. The Campground Host dropped by with lots of information and brochures for us. What a nice thing to do; the first time this whole trip and many, many campgrounds, that we’ve even had a conversation with a Campground Host. And they’re at every park. Hmmm, what’s wrong with this?

Take our usual walk around the park, down to the Marina and then settle in for the night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



29th July 2013

How come you didn't get out there and try your skills?

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0288s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb