West Coast Experience


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Medford
September 12th 2011
Published: September 17th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a late stop overnight at Jettyfishery on the Oregon Coast, and a codfish & chips meal in town nearby, we left at 10 AM yesterday heading south along the coast. There was fog and wind, but nothing to bother us, and the temperature was in the high 60'sF. Later we saw lots of sand and sand dunes, and stopped at a farmer's market, before heading inland on #42, having decided we did not have time to follow the 101 all the way into California and back. The road was straighter inland, and in excellent condition as all roads have been. We arrived on the edge of Jacksonville at 6:30 (a small old community on the west side of Medford), and with help from locals found this mountainside location about 7:30 PM last night. Now we have a basement suite in a 5000 sq. ft home with Dianne's family connection. We've spent the day doing genealogy and touring historic downtown Jacksonville (a gold mining town originally) which had many preserved old buildings.

The view of the valley to the north is fantastic, though make hazy by smoke from a fire (temperatures here in recent days have been in the high 90's or more. Tomorrow will be another leisurely day, possibly including some local touring of vineyards and countryside (wine tasting anyone?) Then comes a mad dash up the I5 to Chilliwack to deal with our car situation before heading back to Saskatchewan on Friday and to Melfort on Monday.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0348s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb