Dogs for the Deaf


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Medford
January 20th 2010
Published: January 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

In a time where natural disasters are happening all over the world and people are looking for a way to give back, Dogs for the Deaf offers something for everyone. Located in Southern Oregon, Dogs for the Deaf has been rescuing and professionally training dogs to assist people and enhance their lives for over 30 years.

Those of you who know me, know that I grew up in Southern Oregon. You may also know that I have somehow happened across all sorts of animals to rescue - dogs, cats, rabbits, turtles, geese, robins, swallows, even snakes. All of these rescues have just been happenstance encounters, but they managed to earn me the nickname "mother nature" and open my eyes to the amazing assistance organizations available for animals in need.

Dogs for the Deaf truly exemplifies the grace of giving. They not only rescue dogs from shelters where they have a high chance of being euthanized, but they also offer life-changing assistance and companionship to people who are hearing impaired. Every day, with every dog they train they improve the life of an animal and a human. Even the dogs that do not meet the requirements to become assistance dogs are often used to improve the lives of the elderly or demonstrate their life saving training to community groups.

There is currently a four to five year waiting list to obtain one of these amazing dogs. But with additional volunteers and donations that number could shrink significantly. Remember, every little bit helps. I encourage you to get involved; visit their website and gain awareness.






Advertisement



Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb