Joseph, Oregon July 19-21 -- 39 Pics


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » La Grande
July 21st 2013
Published: July 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

July 19, 2013 - Friday

Leaving Memaloose today for Joseph, in Eastern Oregon. A complete change of topography. Goodbye to the coast and hello to mountains and trees and rivers. Head through the Dalles and see huge windmill farms, right by the road – 2 dams as well. Lots of power going on.

Stop inIsland City for lunch – whew, it’s hot at 94 degrees; we’re used to the 60’s. 70 more miles to Joseph and the “Park To The River” Campground. Right on the Wallowa River. Of course, we have to pass through Hell’s Canyon and Dead Man’s Gulch first.

The Wallowa Lakeis a beautiful, clear blue lake, reminiscent of Crater Lake in color. Must be a very deep lake. Something we see that’s really cool, platforms are anchored a little way off from shore and they all have picnic tables on them. Lots of people using them. You do need a boat to get out to them though. What a wonderful idea and such fun for anyone.

Arrive our campsite at3:45and get set up, then the usual walk around the park. It’s very crowded and not an extra site available. This is “Joseph” week and there are all kinds of parades and rodeos and fun things happening. It should be a great time. We are here until next Thursday.

July 20, 2013 - Saturday

Went into the town of Joseph first thing today to get information on everything that will be going on with the Joseph Days Week, coming up. Got all the information on the stampede for Tuesday at 1:30, the Slack Wednesday at the arena at 2 pm, and the Rodeo Wed. night at 7 pm. *The Slack is when the kids go out with their farm animals into the arena, with goats and calves and try to rope them and corral them. Should be fun.

After we got all our information and tickets, we walked around the town and had to check out a lot of the little shops. A really fun town and it was booming today! The sun felt hot but in the shade it was real nice, with a breeze, so the heat was no issue. *After the sun goes behind the mountain it gets chilly real fast.

This evening we took a nice walk down to the river and watched a bunch of deer eating by the campground – right up by everyone. Then we walked on down to the State Park and down to the Wallawa Lake. On the way, this male deer stepped out onto the trail and came right up to Will. Will had the remains of a Mountain Berry milkshake and put the cup out to the deer. Well, he just came right up and licked it. But, not to his liking and off he went, just moseying along the grass. No Fear there!

An interesting day for us and we look forward to more of the same tomorrow.

July 21, 2013 - Sunday

What a privilege to be able to watch the GBC service, live streaming this morning again. A lot of the time we’re on the road traveling and it’s hit or miss to be able to even hear it.

We sat outside for awhile after the service and then headed in town for lunch and to walk around some more. Such a friendly place, we love it. Had some Huckleberry dressing on my wrap and then had to go find some to take home with me. After much looking, we finally found it at a tiny grocery store. It’s so good. We had a lesson from our waitress too; the Huckleberry grows like blueberries, only a bit smaller and the Marion-berries grow like a blackberry. So, now we’re all up to speed on our berries!

Did our evening walk to the State Park and lo and behold, the deer! They just come up so close and are, unfortunately, too tame for their own good perhaps. Some good pictures of them tonight. A nice long walk and then it got a little chilly, so back we went to the trailer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



22nd July 2013

Hi Marge and Will, We sure miss you here but we're enjoying the beautiful sights you are seeing. What incredible colors and vistas. Thanks for taking us along with you :) Love, Linda & Bruce
22nd July 2013

Aw, C'mon...
These are postcards, really, right? Gorgeous! I like Marge with Cat....

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0441s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb