Leaving Seattle for Fort Lauderdale


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Eugene
September 22nd 2012
Published: September 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

September 22, 2012



Infinity is now some west of Eugene, Oregon. After dark last night we passed into the Pacific Ocean from the Strait of Juan de Fuca, which our captain pronounced as the Strait of Juan de “Fook”. He is Italian and rumor has it once worked for Costa Cruise Lines; that is the cruise line of the infamous Costa Concordia which lies on its side off the coast of Italy many months after hitting a rock. So as Nancy’s sister said, “I guess we’re fooked”. Time will tell.



The Pacific is remarkably “pacific”. There was only a slight breeze during the night and the water very calm. I took my usual walk at dawn on the walking/running track on deck 11. The track was being used by only a few early risers so that made for a pleasant three kilometer walk. The sunrise was spectacular turning the few low hanging clouds in the west a shade of light pink. It is now a partly cloudy, very pleasant day. I have yet to find my comfort zone here aboard Infinity. I think it has something to do with the size.



And speaking of size, there are some very large people on this ship; men and women. I swear some of these folks have waist lines three feet in diameter. Many of them use electric scooters to get around, though some I am sure could walk if they tried. It has become such a familiar pattern to see outwardly healthy people who have become so obese that they can barely move under their own power. Their bodies appear to have become such a burden to them. I don’t know how or why they have let themselves get to that point, but they are almost certainly doomed to further and further physical deterioration.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0682s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb