Coos Bay, Oregon


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oregon » Coos Bay
September 4th 2007
Published: September 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We headed for Coos Bay today and a campground nearby to the Honda dealer we found that will service the van. We drove out about 13 miles to Cape Arago, a nice stretch of beach with some smaller rocks in the ocean. We came to a look out with quite a few people and a terrible racket coming from the rocks below. We looked out and saw a colony of sea lions - hundreds of them basking on the rocky ledges. There were three types - elephant head, California and Golden Sea Lions. We saw new baby ones lying on the rocks also. What a nice surprise for us.

We saw a picturesque lighthouse along the beach also. WE came back into town and found the dealer and then we found an electronic repair placed that fixed the power supply on my Toshiba laptop. The part that plugs into the computer had gotten loose and then finally fell out yesterday. They fixed it for us while we had lunch - which was awesome customer service.

We drove out to North Bend and along the Oregon Dunes Recreational Area. They have something for everyone. Camping, beach access, staging areas (we aren’t sure for what) ATV areas to ride the dunes, and horseback riding areas.

After supper we walked to the beach overlook of our campsite at Bastendorff County Park (a great place with free hot showers and lovely, private campsites.) While we were there, a red-headed hummingbird came and posed quite nicely for me. We saw the beginnings of a nice sunset, then the clouds moved in. I just got a very narrow window just above the sea horizon of yellow as the sun set.

While we were having a campfire, we watched an old Carey Grant movie on the computer. We sat in our chairs by the fire and had the computer on the picnic table. It was like being in a drive-in movie.

(I finally found out the name of the grouse-like bird I saw in Yellowstone - It was a Ptarmigan)



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Baby Sea LionsBaby Sea Lions
Baby Sea Lions

See the white baby sea lions on the rocks
Our Camp-In TheaterOur Camp-In Theater
Our Camp-In Theater

We watched Penny Serenade with Cary Grant


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 32; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb