Detroit Dam


Advertisement
Published: July 21st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Detroit DamDetroit DamDetroit Dam

You can drive across the dam to the back side of the lake.
On the drive home from the Northwest Cashmere Field Day and Fleece Show, we stopped to enjoy the view of the Detroit Dam and also walked across it. Sadly, the tours they used to give were suspended in 2001 and still have not been reopened.

We were glad for the brief break in the rain to explore a bit downstream and on the dam.

The Detroit Dam was built in 1953 on the North Santiam River and has created the much used and loved Detroit Lake. We had an incredibly wet winter/spring, so it was wonderful to see the water levels to the top!

There were many families fishing off of the dam and they were catching fish! Looked like trout for the most part. The people were not friendly and didn't want to talk. We also heard many languages and little English.




Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

Detroit DamDetroit Dam
Detroit Dam

Looking up from the Big Cliff Reservoir below the dam. Notice the water release!
North SantiamNorth Santiam
North Santiam

Below the dam.
StreamStream
Stream

Stream flowing into the the Big Cliff Reservior below the Detroit Dam.
North SantiamNorth Santiam
North Santiam

Below the dam.
North SantiamNorth Santiam
North Santiam

Below the dam
Detroit DamDetroit Dam
Detroit Dam

Looking down the spillway.
Tree at Detroit DamTree at Detroit Dam
Tree at Detroit Dam

Note the light green growth from all of the rain this year.
Detroit DamDetroit Dam
Detroit Dam

Fishing from the top of the dam. Lots of families and they were catching! Looked like trout. Notice the barricades they are required to stand behind.
Mt JeffersonMt Jefferson
Mt Jefferson

Peaking through the storm.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.067s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb