Day #4- AR to OK


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma
July 6th 2017
Published: July 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Our stay in Eastern Arkansas was a little rough. While the campsite was great, the weather was not. It stormed the entire night and I did not sleep well. Luckily, my driver slept soundly. The other downside of this area was the MOSQUITOES. Swarms of them. We are both all chewed up from them!

After breakfast and some cleaning up in the hot showers we headed back on the road. The plan was to not do as much driving as yesterday, and we succeeded.

Today's travels took us through Little Rock and Oklahoma City.

Interstate 40 took us around Little Rock so we didn't get to see much of the downtown. Plus, it was again raining which made visibility more difficult. This was one place we are unlikely to want to return to check out.

When the sun finally came out, we stopped at a scenic overlook and made some lunch. I also tried to dry out some towels while we ate. I would say it was a productive lunch break.

We then hit another new state to both Brad and I- Oklahoma. Before we got to Oklahoma City, the landscape was a lot different than it had been for most of the trip so far. Interstate 40 goes through flat, sparsely populated, ranch lands. It also goes through a lot of Indian reservations so we passed a good number of casinos. Brad was not happy about the abundance of country stations, his favorite.

We decided to make a stop in OKC and were very impressed! Finding a parking spot for a truck and camper in a downtown is no easy feat, but we were successful twice! Our first stop was the OKC Memorial. I still remember where I was when it happened, even though I was young. It was a powerful experience and a very well done memorial. We then wanted to make a quick stop at a local brewery but took a shorter stop at a cute little beer garden with a choice of beers from several local breweries. I got one from Twisted Spike and Brad got one from COOP. Both were great!

Then we got back on the road for a quick drive to our site for the night, a KOA in West El Reno. This was our first KOA experience. I would say so-so. There are amenities, especially if
Camper parked in DT OKC!Camper parked in DT OKC!Camper parked in DT OKC!

(not our camper stickers- previous owners)
you have kids, but the sites are right on top of each other and there was not a fire pit which greatly disappointed us! At least we were here early enough for a good dinner and will hopefully be back on the road early tomorrow morning!

P.S.- Was done with my writing for tonight but had to include a picture of when Bradford fell through the table...that's my hubby!!!

Miles traveled: 487 miles

States visited: AR, OK

XO, B&E


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



6th July 2017

❤️
Thanks for sharing. Loving every word.

Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0583s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb