Lake Meredith and Booker


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Woodward
October 5th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 36.4337, -99.399

Today was a fun day stopping at two places in the Texas Panhandle. First we drove to Lake Meredith Harbor to see what it looks like now. We haven't been there since the fire the destroyed over 150 structures in May, 2014. The area doesn't look too bad. There are a few places that have debris that may have been from the fire, but it could be just usual deterioration of old buildings. The mobile home that used to stand on the corner next to our property has been removed. The home on the other end of the block looks the same, but it is impossible to tell for sure since it surrounded by many trees and shrubs. The water level looks pretty good compared to the last time we were there, but still down from its best years by quite a bit.

From Lake Meredith, we drove to Booker to see Heart Cemetery where my grandparents and one aunt and uncle are buried and to see the farm. We found the cemetery and the Allen family plots easily using Janelle's instructions. She also told us how to find the farm and we headed that way, but turned around before we got there. On a gravel county road just a couple of miles from the northwest corner of the section, we saw a big truck or some type of vehicle headed toward us kicking up gravel and a cloud of dust. We did not want to see the Allen farmstead bad enough to risk getting a ding in the paint or windshield of the car so we turned around and left the area.

We made it to Woodward for the night and had dinner at Diarti's Italian Restaurant—excellent veal piccata for me and chicken piccata for Phil.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.267s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb