Trio of States Along I-40


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Clinton
June 7th 2012
Published: June 8th 2012
Edit Blog Post

How about a close upHow about a close upHow about a close up

of my handiwork
We slept late this morning and got on the road even later than usual, 10:05. Driving on the interstate is pretty boring if all is going well. We saw lots of clouds this morning, something we haven't seen much of since we were in Oregon, but not much in the way of rain. We just had an occasional mist, not enough to turn on the wipers.

At the Texas/New Mexico state line we entered the Central Time Zone. Now we're in the same zone as home. At Amarillo we stopped at the Cadillac Ranch and left our mark on one of the cadillacs. There were a couple of young men there who had broken off a chunk of paint. Those old cars have been sprayed so many times that the paint is an inch thick or more. Up close they really look distorted with all that paint on them. I think it's pretty cool that people are allowed to add whatever they want to the cars paint-wise. There were at least a dozen people there, the most we've ever seen.

In Oklahoma we suddenly were blessed with green grass and some humidity. I never thought I'd be craving humidity,
slab of paintslab of paintslab of paint

cross section of paint off one of the cars at Cadillac Ranch. That's a lot of paint!
but my skin is so dry it feels like sandpaper. I've been glopping up with lotion, but it soaks in and still feels dry. I know I'll be back to complaining about the humidity in a few days, but for now I'm enjoying it.

We set up at a campground in Clinton, OK. I'm beginning to think we've used up all our campground luck. First we were given a spot without water hookup, then we had trouble getting the spigot to come on at the second. Finally got that working. The bathrooms are clean, but odd. There are 3 showers in each bathroom and 2 toilets. Kerry says no urinals in the mens room, just toilets. In the ladies room there is a curtain at the front of each stall, like a shower curtain, but it falls about 6 inches in front of the commode. So if you sit on the pot and want a little privacy, I guess the curtain hides your face and sits on your knees. The mens room has no such curtains. The dressing area for the showers is in the middle of the bathroom with no privacy at all.

This evening we went
Here I amHere I amHere I am

painting "Off Our Rocker" on one of the cars
to a casino in town and I made my usual donation. Kerry came out with $40 more than he went in with. See if I let him carry my lucky dime again.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

The finished productThe finished product
The finished product

Looks good, doesn't it
Cadillac RanchCadillac Ranch
Cadillac Ranch

from the road
Great big crossGreat big cross
Great big cross

at Groom, TX


11th June 2012

That's alot of driving
Sounds like you had a great trip, and I've so enjoyed following along with you. So glad you are home safe and sound. We'll be on our way 2 wks from today.

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb