Lake Murray State Park - Oklahoma


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Oklahoma » Ardmore
February 16th 2014
Published: March 14th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Oklahoma' Lake Murray Resort Park is a treasure! We had a wonderful time exploring this park in February. An easy drive north from Fort Worth, but a world away from the rush of the city!
We had a great time exploring and visiting with family in February. First stop was the ATV camp area. The muddin' playground was open for business! The sunshine after weeks of rainy days was the perfect weather for the local off-road /all-terrain enthusiasts.

The parking lot was filling quickly with pickup trucks, cattle trailers, open trailers and any other means for hauling 2-wheelers and 4-wheelers to the park. With over 1,000 acres of mostly boggy mud, the fun times begin. Families arrived in groups with participants ranging from toddlers to grandparents and everyone was smiling in anticipation of the adventure. This recreation area is huge and is limited only by the banks of the lake. The undeveloped area has water areas, shrubbery, mature trees and enough space that you can truly get away from the world. There are some paths and trails, but it's mostly open land and riders can venture anywhere in the park.

The gate house is the check-in point where riders pay $10 for a daily armband pass and can then come and go as desired. The parking lot beside the gate house is open from 8am to dusk. The entry/exit point closes at sunset each day which is clearly posted at the gate. Nearby, this campground includes public facilities along with RV and tent camping spots.

We explored the park with Dawn, our private tour guide who currently works as a camp host for the ATV grounds (and is John's sister). We had an amazing tour because she has been at this location for about a year and has learned about all areas of the park. The highlight of the tour was visiting the "castle" at the visitor center.

We also stopped for a few minutes at the chapel, which was open at the time we visited. The main campground office is the place to stop for maps and information about the park facilities, reservations, cabins and for souvenirs. This park has a rich history and is a wonderful destination for families. As a vacation destination, the park includes a hotel with 50 guest rooms, over 80 cottage style cabins and more than 500 tent and RV campsites. Something for everyone!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.027s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb