Biking Ohio's Wabash Cannonball Rail Trail in Toledo


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Toledo
June 19th 2016
Published: July 6th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Wabash Cannonball Rail Trail - North and South Fork


Additional maps: Wabash Cannonball Trials - North and South Forks

Biking on Toledo Ohio's Wabash Cannonball Rail Trail




Text and Photos last updated: 2016

Number of times on this trail: 2

Location: Toledo (Maumee) Ohio

Distance: 110 km

Distance markers: some

Bathroom: one on each trail

Water: at washrooms on trail.

Benches: one on each trail

Surface: paved and gravel

Grade: Flat

The Wabash Cannonball Trail is located in Toledo Ohio (actually in Maumee.) One good staging area is at the Fallen Timbers Mall in Maumee:



GPS: N41°32'48.9 W83°42'06.1

6832 Russell Road (one of the entrances to Fallen Timbers Mall)

The trail runs beside the mall and there is lots of parking. Turn left out of the parking lot and continue along the trail for less than 1 km where it will swing to the left and away from the road. In about 100 metres the trail splits into the North Fork and the South Fork.




The two trails make up a total of 110 km (68 miles) but only a small portion is paved. This blog entry involves only the paved portions of the north and south forks.




The NORTH FORK is the more interesting of the two. It definitely has more shade. Five km in (3 miles) there is a washroom, picnic benches and a bicycle repair station at a local park (right on the trail). There are bridges, ravines and wetlands along the way.




At km 15.5 (9.5 miles) is OAK SPRINGS METROPARK, with washrooms, benches and shade. When we were there in June the water was not drinkable as it had an awful sulfur smell!




In another 1 km the pavement ends and becomes dirt, crushed limestone and grass. A hybrid bike would be okay but not a street bike. We only biked a few km on this route. It was more overgrown and had even more shade.




The SOUTH FORK is flat and offers a fast ride but on the other hand if it is windy, also offers some resistance! If you are looking for shade, DO NOT take this trail. It was difficult to find even the smallest bit of shade during our ride.




The south fork is paved for about 17
wabash south fork  (15)wabash south fork  (15)wabash south fork (15)

Washrooms in Whitehouse
km (10.5 miles) The final 7 miles would be recommended for hikers or mountain bikes as it is pretty rugged.




The village of WHITEHOUSE is 10.5 km (6.5 miles) along the trail. Here you will find a large park with a spouting fountain in a pond. At the town’s main intersection there is “General’s Ice Cream” stand and washrooms as well as an old railway caboose.




If you are looking for food, turn left (south) at the intersection and about 100 metres away is the WHITEHOUSE INN with indoor and outdoor seating. We found the service to be slow but once served, all went well.




The trail ends 10.5 miles from the mall. We saw one bench along the route and lots of garbage cans. Water only at Whitehouse. Also at Whitehouse beside the park, washrooms and ice cream stand is a large parking lot.






We would recommend both trails for an easy ride.

(19 photos below)





Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

wabash south fork  (5)wabash south fork  (5)
wabash south fork (5)

Park in Whitehouse
wabash south fork  (17)wabash south fork  (17)
wabash south fork (17)

Lunch in Whitehouse
WABASH north fork  (1)WABASH north fork  (1)
WABASH north fork (1)

bathroom on the north fork


Tot: 0.49s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 12; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1802s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb