Cleveland to Niagara and lake Erie


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Ohio » Cleveland
May 29th 2008
Published: May 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Top thrill dragster 26 secs
Michael Jackson guitarMichael Jackson guitarMichael Jackson guitar

Rock and Roll hall of fame
12th May. We arrived in Cleveland on the overnight bus from Washington. This was to be the starting point of our trip around lake Erie. Luckily we were able to check in to our hotel early and have a bit of a rest as the bus trip had been full of stops where we had to get off the bus and back on again so we didn't get a lot of sleep. We then went to Cleveland's main attraction, the Rock and Roll Hall of fame. It is a huge collection of memorabilia from all styles and eras of music. There were guitars used by Jimi Hendrix and Kurt Kobain, outfits worn by David Bowie and Michael Jackson and lots more.
13th May. Got the train to the airport where we picked up our car and headed out on to the Highway. Our first destination was the Allegheny forest in Pennsylvania where we camped for the night in a state campsite by a lake. It was very scenic, surrounded by trees and hills but freezing cold at night.
14th May. Our journey towards Niagara took us through little farming towns as the road snaked North towards Buffalo and then Niagara. We
Alegeheny forest Alegeheny forest Alegeheny forest

Happy camper
arrived and checked into our hostel and went to have our first look at the falls. The weather wasn't great and the views from the US side of the river aren't that great so we were hoping for better the next day.
15th May. We headed to the Maid of the Mist boat to take a trip to within touching distance of the falls. Decked out in stylish capes, we were taken past American and Bridal falls and right into the heart of Horseshoe falls. The weather was better now and the view from the bottom of the falls was fabulous even though we were almost constantly sprayed with mist. Later on we crossed the rainbow bridge into Canada and drove North to see Lake Ontario and then headed back up the Niagara river and drove along the shore of lake Erie to Port Dover where we found a hotel and went to the lake side to have fish (yellow perch) and chips and had a walk on the beach.
The next few days were spent driving along the shore of lake Erie, stopping off at small lakeside towns and nature reserves. The locals in the towns were very friendly
Niagara FallsNiagara FallsNiagara Falls

caped crusaders!
and often surprised that people from so far away were visiting their towns.
19th May. We had crossed back into th USA at Detroit and continued round the lake to Sandusky where there was a big theme park called Cedar Point which has the largest collection of Rollercoasters in the world. 16 in total. We spent the whole day here going on all types of roller coasters from old rickety wooden ones to one where you stood up and did a full loop. The biggest attraction was the Top Thrill Dragster which went from 0-120 mph in 4 seconds before sending you vertically up and down a 400 ft loop. (see the video).
20th May. We returned the car in the morning and caught the bus to Cincinnati which didn't have very much of interest but was on the way to our next destination of Nashville. The only highlight here was the Dixie Chili which we had over the river in Kentucky. We also managed to see the Champions League final in a bar where no one else seemed to be interested at all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Rainbow bridgeRainbow bridge
Rainbow bridge

From USA to Canada
Horseshoe fallsHorseshoe falls
Horseshoe falls

From the Maid of the Mist
Steph at WilliesSteph at Willies
Steph at Willies

Yellow perch in Port Dover
Long PointLong Point
Long Point

Get in and get your feet wet. We didn't come all this way for nothing.
Bates' Ice CreamBates' Ice Cream
Bates' Ice Cream

Closed. Boo hoo!
ChairoplaneChairoplane
Chairoplane

Wheeeeeeeee...
Millenium ForceMillenium Force
Millenium Force

Very high roller coaster
IRA barber shopIRA barber shop
IRA barber shop

Wouldn't want a haircut here!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb