Boom! We hit the Atlantic coast


Advertisement
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

June 4 - 22, 2006 Hot Springs, N.C. - Savannah, Ga. - Charleston, S.C. - Charlotte, N.C. Loop 10,856 miles to date 1,610 miles this leg NOTE: In addition to the updated Route Map, we've made revisions to the Proposed Route Map: for now, it includes Newfoundland! Four and a half months after leaving our Northwest home, we reached the Southeast apex of our round-the-country trip. We first saw the... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 49, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Sunnybank InnSunnybank Inn
Sunnybank Inn

We spent one night in the Sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs, N.C., and Jeff taught a banjo lesson to other guests in the music room of this historic Balladry.
Sunnybank CoupleSunnybank Couple
Sunnybank Couple

Shelly & Jeff at the evening music jam in the Sunnybank Inn.
Hanna in AshevilleHanna in Asheville
Hanna in Asheville

We caught up with Shelly's college friend Hanna in Asheville, where she rides her bike everywhere (doesn't own a car) and has recently joined the city's non-motorized transportation committee.
Shelly & Marian in ColumbiaShelly & Marian in Columbia
Shelly & Marian in Columbia

Shelly reunes with Smith College classmate Marian in Columbia, S.C., where Marian works for the state air quality division.
NASCAR trackNASCAR track
NASCAR track

Jeff was thrilled by our weekday stop by a NASCAR racetrack near Charlotte, N.C. Cars were zipping around the track with students enrolled in "race school."
Maggie & MarkMaggie & Mark
Maggie & Mark

More college friends in Charlotte, N.C.: Maggie and Mark and their kitten Emmett. Maggie is a high school history teacher and Mark works in a Wachovia bank skyscraper but bikes to and from downtown.
Shelly's 30Shelly's 30
Shelly's 30

30 years young on June 22, Shelly has some fun dressing up in a museum exhibit on her birthday.



27th June 2006

greetings from Guemes!
I didn't want your narrative and photo journal to end...I was so lost in sharing your adventures! Too much together time doesn't show in your healthy smiles, smirks and posturing with the locals. Connecting with people is so natural for your two I think your future will be rich!!! Looking forward to your next installment. Susan PS I loved the wine you gave me, as did my 3 neighbors who helped me drink it on my 63rd birthday earlier in the month. All is well.
1st July 2006

Yay for Tybee Island
Hey Guys, Just thought I would check in and say hello. Tom and I have been enjoying the updates. I was so excited to see you made it to Tybee Island. My parents had a beach house there growing up — a place that definitely brings back childhood memories! Enjoy.
6th July 2006

Reading your blog from the AT
We are in Waynesboro, VA, at the home of a trail angel. We have showered, did laundry, ate a meal, and now have time on a computer that is easy and quick. Finally got to read the blog. Loved it! Continue to enjoy your trip. Love to you 'all.
11th July 2006

Ola from Porto, Portugal!!
I'm still keeping up with your adventures from Portugal. I have been in Porto for a little over a week, taking an intensive language and culture course through Berkeley. It has been an incredible experience thus far and I'm considering doing a travel blog of my own once I get a digital camera. However, I'm afraid that I will come up short in comparison to your amazing stories and well-organized entries!
31st August 2006

We almost crossed paths
Hi there! Finally have some time to peruse your blog! I had two weeks in the Hollywood Hills with my aunt, then flew to Charlotte myself for a meeting! They had a tour the whitewater park and hosted us to a dinner at the Speedway! I had an extra twenty-four hours so drove to Asheville through the mountains and had a great time - visited the larged house in the nation...had some BBQ, etc....great stories and photos - whoo hoo!

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 16; dbt: 0.0385s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb