Waterfalls and Mountain Views


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

IMG_0811IMG_0811IMG_0811

Not Bad if I Say So Myself!
Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Cherokee, North Carolina

Did I mention this is a stunning park! I can certainly understand why it is the most visited park in the system, however I am very glad that we got here before the travel season officially starts (on Memorial Day).

One thing we like to do when we get to a big park, is find one of the lesser known, and lesser traveled sections and explore some there first. We did that here by going over to the Deep Creek area. To get there, you have to exit the park's main road and then drive about 20 miles west from Cherokee down to Bryson City. There you follow the signs to Deep Cove Campground - I'm not even sure the road has a number. Then you go past the campground to the trailhead parking lot.

We were interested in taking the Three Falls Hike - a relatively short and easy hike. It winds up a ridge and back down with about 600 feet elevation gain over 2.4 miles. For us it was about the same as a walk around the block at home, although much prettier and more interesting. We
IMG_0765IMG_0765IMG_0765

Starting out on our 3 Falls Hike
walked through dense hardwood forests of hickory and oak plus dozens of other trees that I don't know how to identify (yet). And there were occasional patches of white flowers that I also can't identify but, from what I've read, might be a type of azalea or rhododendron, which are blooming now.

The most exciting sights, though, were the waterfalls, which, it seems are just about around every corner. As I mentioned yesterday, the combination of lots of elevation changes, over short distances, and plenty of rainfall (almost as much as the Washington/Oregon coast), produces waterfalls everywhere. I don't know how many creeks we walked next to, but there were several and we watched lots of gurgling water go over rounded rocks and boulders.

The first waterfall we came to was Juney Whank Falls (there is no straight story on how it got its name). This fall isn't huge, but there is a footbridge at the bottom of it, so you can see it up close. No amount of writing, or even pictures though, can capture the sounds and smells of a waterfall. Like the pounding surf, there is something soothing to the white noise of rushing water.
IMG_0768IMG_0768IMG_0768

Biodiversity


Plus the ions! The crashing of water molecules into each other produces ionized spray (electrically charged). And it is a fact that our bodies can sense those ions, reacting to them positively (pun intended). It does produce a very pleasant sensation. I wish we had more water out west so we could experience more of these things.

After another mile of hiking, up and over the ridge, we descended down to Deep Creek once again and ambled next to it for a while. As we moved on we could hear the roar of another waterfall. It turned out that there were several of them, coming from a couple different creeks where they were merging. One of them, Indian Creek Falls, is one of the most gorgeous water falls I've seen. Maybe just 50' of falling water, it cascades over a rock face and into a deep pool which quickly absorbs the chaos to produce a tranquil finish. Joan and I stood there for quite a few minutes in awe of the sight. We were interrupted after a while by another couple.

Moving on down the trail, we saw wildflowers in bloom along the shores of the creek
IMG_0766IMG_0766IMG_0766

Even Includes Joan
and just before we got back to the parking lot, we saw Tom Branch Falls. This one was taller than the others, but seemed to have less water to it. And there were several places along the rocks where it spilled over into a frothy white spray.

Exhilarated by the hike, but a little tired, we went back to the trailer, fixed lunch, and took a nap. I woke up around 4:30 and roused Joan with the idea of driving up part of the main park road to see what views were available. She liked that idea, so we bundled the dogs and our cameras into the car and drove up the Newfound Gap Road (the main road through the park, also known as US 441). I have to remember that a 'gap' out here is what we call a 'pass' out west.

There were several overlooks on the road up to the Gap and we stopped at all of them. From up above you can see the magnificence of these mountains. A lot of the old growth forests were cut down a century ago for lumber and pulp, but a few coves still remain. And there is
IMG_0769IMG_0769IMG_0769

Juney Whanks Falls
second growth forest filling in the gap. Those trees aren't as tall as the original ones, at least not yet.

You can also see the 'smoke' that gives these mountains their names. Settling in the valleys there is a bluish-gray light cloud. The trees make this stuff, much like the redwoods create the mists and clouds at Redwoods Park. They transpire a chemical called terpene which reacts with other elements in the air to form the bluish cloud. After reaching the summit, we returned home, relaxed watching our own creek behind the trailer, and prepared dinner.

Oh, and I have to give Dustin and Sarah Adams a shout out. Last night we grilled the pork chops you gave us and the night before that, it was the sweet BBQ brats. They were terrific - among the best pork meals we've ever had. We will be heading back to their place to get some more.

But what a great first day in our last park! We saw it both up-close on our hikes, and from the grand view atop the mountains. This is going to be a fun park! (17.1.72)


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

IMG_0776IMG_0776
IMG_0776

WildFlowers and a Little Fall
IMG_0778IMG_0778
IMG_0778

Dense Hardwood Forests
IMG_0780IMG_0780
IMG_0780

Water and Vegetation Everywhere
IMG_0785IMG_0785
IMG_0785

A Cascade that Doesn't even get a Name.
IMG_0787IMG_0787
IMG_0787

Joan, On The Rocks
IMG_0788IMG_0788
IMG_0788

Wildlife (A Millipede)
IMG_0789IMG_0789
IMG_0789

Indian Creek Falls- Just Stunning
IMG_0791IMG_0791
IMG_0791

Below the Falls
IMG_0793IMG_0793
IMG_0793

A Quiet Pool with Wildflowers
IMG_0796IMG_0796
IMG_0796

Stirring Things Up
IMG_0799IMG_0799
IMG_0799

One Could Spend a Lifetime Here
IMG_0801IMG_0801
IMG_0801

Another Nameless Waterfall
IMG_0803IMG_0803
IMG_0803

Tom Branch Falls
IMG_0807IMG_0807
IMG_0807

From an Overlook off of Newfound Gap Road
IMG_0810IMG_0810
IMG_0810

I Took This?
IMG_0812IMG_0812
IMG_0812

Transition between Hardwood and Spruce/Fir Forests
IMG_0814IMG_0814
IMG_0814

Smooch Cooling off in the Stream


25th May 2017

Amazing
I like your dog's name. :)
25th May 2017

Real Name is Even Better!
Her registered name is 'Shut Up and Kiss Me'!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb