Log 14 - Boldt Castle


Advertisement
Published: October 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The story of Boldt Castle on Heart Island is intriguing - and sad. “George Boldt came to America in the 1860’s from Prussia, the son of poor parents. A man of tremendous organizational skill, daring and imagination, he became the most successful hotel magnate in America, managing /profit sharing the Waldorf-Astoria in New York and the Bellevue-Stratford in Philadelphia. . . . Boldt Castle stands as an eternal monument to the memory of the man whose dreams were no more far reaching than his capabilities.” George married Louise when she was 15 and she became a true partner in his business endeavors as well as his life. “Boldt Castle was to be the testimony of the unsurpassed love of a man for his wife.” But then she died of a heart attack just months before the Castle was completed. George Boldt called the workmen that day and told them to stop their work on the Castle immediately.
Boldt never finished or lived in his castle. For over 70 years, from 1904 to 1977, the Castle was unoccupied and slowly fell into a state of disrepair. The Thousand Islands Bridge Authority assumed ownership in 1977 and immediately began a rehabilitation program. The rehabilitation continues with net revenues from the admission fees, although only a modest portion of the 127 rooms have been completed.
From the Waldorf-Astoria and Boldt, we get the name “Thousand Island” dressing.
We
e still in North Carolina and saw a snow almost-blizzard today at Clingsman Dome. Well be back Tuesday as Bob as clients coming in next week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.1016s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb