Our Day Trip to a Boone, NC Dinner Theater


Advertisement
Published: May 1st 2018
Edit Blog Post


Side shot of our dinner theater show
My grandparents on my paternal side are on the younger side of the scale and always up for a new adventure. They moved to our sleepy hometown in the Triad region of North Carolina about four years ago, when my husband and I were expecting our first child. They’d lived in Texas their entire lives and were ready to settle down and spend their golden years surrounded by the family they’d loved from a long distance for so long.



Yet, even though they’ve put down their forever roots here, they are constantly on the go! My little family is in the youngest stages of our lives and still, they hit the road so much more than we do! This past weekend, they invited us to attend a dinner theater with them up in Boone, NC. We are familiar with the area because we have a family cabin near there at Lake Junaluska. It was about a three hour drive there and the same distance coming back, so the commute alone took almost the entire day, but it was more than worth it.





We arrived in Boone early in the morning and grabbed a

All of us before heading out!
delicious breakfast at what has quickly become one of our favorite local spots: Biscuit Head. As I’ve mentioned previously, they call themselves that because the biscuits really are the size of a cat’s head! This time around, I sprung for the Eggs Benedict biscuit, which was divine, while my husband and grandparents all got a classic bacon, egg and cheese biscuit. The catch? They were made with housemade pimento cheese, which gave them an out-of-this-world creaminess.

After that, we loaded back up to hit the dinner theater. It’s called a dinner theater, but the show was at 2:00 so the meal counted as more of a late lunch. The play was based on all of the music from the late 1950s and early 1960s. In other words, it was music from right during heyday of my grandparents’ child-rearing years, and they knew every single word that the on-stage characters sang. From rockabilly to the blues, the music spanned quite a few different genres and even though I only recognized a handful of tunes, it was incredibly entertaining and kept us engaged for the entire three hours.

During the middle of the show, we were served a delicious dinner that made the early morning drive more than worth it. We each received half of a chicken, marinated in a lemon citrus sauce. In addition, there were fresh cut green beans, sweet potatoes, and a warm yeast roll that absolutely made the meal.

The show ended with a big finale and everyone got back on stage to perform the last number, which was a melody of the top hits from those decades. In all, it was a wonderful day spent with my grandparents, and it made me so appreciative that they’re still able to get out and about, and actually want to partake in fun local events like this. They both retired about ten years ago and since then, they just work part-time at the golf course they live on. My grandfather cleans carts and helps tidy up the place while my grandmother serves a mean hot dog from the snack stand. They invested well during their younger years and, with the support of a private health insurance plan, they’re able to maintain a healthy and comfortable lifestyle that I hope continues well into the future.

We arrived home around 8:00 p.m. and parted ways. They used to live half the country away, and now they live only about five minutes from us. Time, space and distance kept us apart for more than three decades, but we’re enjoying making up for all that lost time.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.104s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 15; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0462s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb