Onto to Asheville and a rest......................


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Gatlinburg,TN to Asheville,NC


Another fine but cool morning with promise of an OK day ahead.Joined the throngs for breakfast( a bus load had arrived in last night after we arrived ) and it was just as well the ining room was a good size.
With what was only a short distance to travel we delayed our start until after Kelly and Regis today.
We headed up TN-441 into the Smokies National Park and started the steady climb up to the summit of the road at just over 5000 ft.At the pass named Newfoundland Gap there were people everywhere and two busloads as well as cars.The view out over the changing leaf colours to the distant mountains was beautiful and the smoky nature of the atmosphere lived up to its reputation.At the carpark there were about a doen people paiting all set up with easels etc.Some wre good and others not so good.Not sure if they were there as individuals or as part of a school.
We took a side road up to Clingmans Dome about 7 miles off the main highway and climbed another 700feet.A guidebook had encouraged us to get to the highest point in Tennessee.Although there didnt seem to be many cars as we travelled up this road there were heaps in the car park.We had lunch before setting out the final 300feet climb by foot to a tower on the top of the highest point.A notice at the start of the walk reminded us that we were at an altitude were too much effort would affect our breathing.Shortly after the start of the walk we were overtaking others who were struggling.Perhaps our lungs were more used to altitude after what we had encountered in the early part of our travels in the west when we were often above the altitude we were now.
The walk was worth it as the view was 360 deg but we didnt hang around too long as the breeze was cool.
Then it was down the other side and into North Carolina.
The drive down thru the trees with the fall colours showing even more than a day or two ago was pleasant and we took our time taking in the view as the road twisted and turned down to the valley floor.
Then it was out thru the Indian settlement of Cherokee ( huge Harrahs casino and all ) and onto I-40 for the run into Asheville and the challenge of finding Tom and Michele and the Aberdeen B&B.It turned out to be a relatively easy task.
It was great meeting Tom again and he hadnt changed at all in the nearly 4 years !! Michele was out of town doing some contract work but would be back tomorrow.
After a coffee and a look around the B&B it was time for cocktails and Tom set about preparing part of tomorrows breakfast for his other 6 guests.
More cocktails and it was time for home made burgers and home made fries made from sweet potato(much drier than our kumara).This was a real treat after WalMart meals !!!
We then settled down to watch the second Presidential debate.Tom lasted only a few minutes and he was asleep.We watched most of the so called debate(turned out to be more statements by Obama and McCain to questions asked by the moderator).
A young couple from Cinncinati who were staying at the B&B came and joined us to watch the last half hour or so and then we stayed on and chatted with them and before we knew it....it was midnight....oh the people you meet in B&B's.!!!!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 35; dbt: 0.0479s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb