Day 19 No way, this can't be the last day


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
January 4th 2016
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.7488, -73.9912

Today saw a new benchmark for FREEZING. The sky from our 25th floor view of 7th avenue promised blue skies. A second day of perfect views of the New York skyline. And when you are standing by the radiator as it relentlessly pumps out heat it is easy to be lulled into a false sense of security.

The -9 C predicted, combined with a slight breeze, was of course the "perfect" day to walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

So we layered up....and this is what it takes to achieve the Oompa Loompa look:
singlet
thermal long sleeved shirt
flannelet shirt
jumper
thermal long johns
jeans
socks
boots
scarf
hat
gloves
wind breaker

And despite the best layering - the cold still managed to sneak in. Seems impossible, but it was actually colder than being on the slopes at Whistler/Blackcomb.

The challenge to get to the bridge was easily met with our extended hop on hop off ticket. We certainly got value for money. There was little bit of a detour because we just had to walk the mighty Wall Street. And you know, it was just a street! But again, made special because of the iconic "views" that we knew so well...the street sign, the ticker tape marks across the street and of course THE BULL.

There was a slight line up for a picture but we happily queued and snapped. Mac of course had to go a little overboard. Took the obligatory "I've got the bull by the horns shot" but he went one better for the rear end shot....he crawled under the bull and cradled and rubbed the proverbials - much to my horror and much to the delight of the assembled crowd. You can't take him anywhere!

Got a look at the Stock Exchange from the other side of the street and somewhat surprisingly, in spite of Mac's dedication to Fox's Business Channel could not wangle an invite to go in and "ring the bell." In fact, the entrance was partitioned off and the closest that you could get was a view from across the road. No worries, we just put the zoom on and took some shots.

Next stop - The Brooklyn Bridge. And it was BUSY. The cars and trucks filled the lanes of the vehicular traffic but the foot traffic was relentless. It didn't matter that the wind was whistling down the river creating a chilling -4 experience. Like everyone else, we strolled and clicked! Must have taken hundreds of photos and under all the layers and behind the scarves and the hoodies we couldn't suppress the smiles.

The Brooklyn Bridge has loomed majestically over New York City's East River conveniently linking the two boroughs of Manhattan and Brooklyn since 1883. The bridge's construction took 14 years, involved 600 workers and cost $15 million (more than $320 million in today's dollars). At least two dozen people died in the process.

And there we were 125 years later strolling across its wooden panelled pedestrian way. Its granite towers and steel cables were stunningly beautiful! It was as spectacular close up as it had been from a distance.

Circus entertainer PT Barnum took 21 elephants over the bridge in 1884 to show that it was safe! On its opening day, some 150 000 people walked across the bridge. A week after opening however, an estimated 20 000 people were on the bridge when a panic started, allegedly over a rumour that it was about to collapse. Twelve people were crushed to death on a narrow stairway and others emerged bloodied and in some cases without clothing. Witnesses described men and women with their limbs contorted and their faces bruised and bleeding.

No such doubts 125 years on. There was no panic today. Just lots of tourists, exactly like us, marvelling at what was described in its early years as the eighth wonder of the world.

The bridge offered sweeping views of the Manhattan skyline. The Empire State Building stood out on the cityscape and the Statue of Liberty was a distinctive line in the mouth of the bay. We had perfect views from every vantage point on our 4 km stroll.

"Gosh it was cold. And running the risk of repeating myself "Gosh it was cold!

Although we didn't want to leave the bridge, it was pleasant to get out of the breeze. Stopped at the exit to purchase a few souvenirs including my favourite so far - a little yellow cab! Going to find a place for it in the glass cabinet at home - even has doors that open!

Breakfast was a lunch combination at 2.00 pm when we fell into an Indian restaurant - our criteria was easy - as long as it was heated and we could sit down. It looked like a "splodge" of something on a plate - but there was plenty of it - was accompanied by the biggest naan ever - and we devoured it because it was absolutely delicious. We savoured every morsel. Think that might be what cold whether does to you. (Just goes to prove that "looks can be deceiving"...or should that bee "the proof's in the pudding"....whatever you come up with and whichever way you look at it - that splodge was a culinary delight at 2.00 pm on a freezing day.)

Another quick trip on the bus and we were at the doors of the American Natural History Museum (the backdrop for the movie "A Night at the Museum"😉. Again, the scale of the exhibits is breath taking and there was no way that you could see all the exhibits in a single visit. Did take in the massive 3D experience of the blue whale; got up close and personal with the elephant stampede in the Hall of African Mammals; took in a show in the Hayden Planetarium (yep, I did have a snooze); visited the prehistoric halls to see the dinosaurs and brushed up on the cultural history of the Northwest Coast Indians.

Home to the packing saga. We were taking some luggage for Michael and Anthony so they didn't have to drag the winter ski gear with them to Vegas. With my newly purchased suitcase (hardcase, four way spinning wheels) we had plenty of room and it was a relaxed packing evening.

To be honest, there is plenty more to do, see and learn in New York. We have made a great start and perhaps need to have another "drop in" time at some stage in the future. We haven't left the city precincts and we hear such great stories about what is "just up the road." But I am definitely committed to a summer trip!

PS Thought I had lost my special Christmas earring that was a gift from @Carolyn. But as I reversed engineered the layers of the day, I heard the tink-tinkle of the precious little jewel hit the bathroom floor. Very happy.



Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0218s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb