A "Day" at the Museum


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
October 21st 2016
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 40.7813, -73.974

Rainy this morning, so we headed uptown west side to visit the American Museum of Natural History. I think half the tourists in town had the same idea! Although the museum is about the same floor area as The Met, it's made up of 25 buildings that have been added and joined over the years, so the spaces aren't so big and overwhelming. The diorama presentations were excellent.

The Ben Stiller/Robin Williams movie used some exterior shots of the museum, but we were told that all the interiors were shot on a set in Canada. Damn, I was looking to take a photo at the diorama featured in the movie!

At the subway four policemen by-passed the turnstiles and invited the people waiting to follow them without having to use our metro cards. After some hesitation, we happily accepted their invite. Perhaps they wanted us to clear the entrance, as there may have been some security alert on today. There were security announcements and many more police than yesterday.

Saw Carole King's story "Beautiful" this evening. A good show with great music, imaginatively presented and choreographed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

TitanosaurusTitanosaurus
Titanosaurus

Discovered only two years ago in Argentina, this is the largest dinosaur ever found. It has yet to be properly named as it is still being written up.
Blue WhaleBlue Whale
Blue Whale

This 94ft replica of the largest animal ever to have lived was quite impressive. It's not as long as the 122ft Titanosaurus but it outweighs it 100 tons to 70 tons.
Stephen Sondheim TheatreStephen Sondheim Theatre
Stephen Sondheim Theatre

We had separate seats that were four rows apart and close to the stage. We did not see a single empty seat, even though "Beautiful" has been showing for over three years. It was quite a cosy venue. No photos during the performance - an attendant mistook my binoculars for a camera and she was on to me!


1st November 2016

Would love to see this, Carol King being one of my favourites from a bygone era.

Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0172s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb