New York and Washington DC


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
January 5th 2011
Published: January 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The weather has been fantastic in New York and Washington, it's been sunny and though on the chilly side it feels no colder than a cold Sydney day.
Today (Wednesday 5th Jan) is our last day with Millet and her family in New Jersey, tomorrow we fly to Orlando where we will visit Disneyland and on the 8th of January we'll get the train (Amtrak) to Fort Lauderdale, we'll have one night there before boarding the 'Allure of the Seas' for our one week Caribbean cruise.
On Monday we got the bus and train into New York, this time the subway changes all worked, I think I've got it worked out now. On the train a group of four black American guys got in and started singing "my girl" to an attractive looking blonde girl, they were very good, the performance was quite entertaining. We got off the train at the ferry terminal for Staten Island, it's a free ferry and it goes right past the statue of Liberty, Eleanor got some good shots. We didn't look around the island as there was still lot's to see in New York, we got the next ferry back then had lunch at a Mexican place. After lunch we walked uptown and checked out Wall Street, Ground Zero including the memorial to the victims and the memorial at the church nearby. We then continued on to the Supreme Court, Chinatown and finished at Soho where we did some shopping (didn't buy anything) had a relaxing drink, Magarita for Eleanor and a Sam Adams (2) for me. We then got the subway and bus back to Millet's house.
Yesterday we were up very early (4.30am) for our trip to Washington DC. Raymond took us into New York as the bus departed at 6.40am from near Penn Station (corner 31st street and 9th Avenue). We got there a bit early so had a coffee in Penn Station, there were a few homeless people there, probably because it was warm. We'd booked on the Megabus, it was pretty good value, $30 return for the four and a half trip. When we arrived at Washington DC we walked to the Washington Monument, the plan was to get onto a hop-on hop-off tour bus, there was a ticket office there. The tour company had been recommended to us, so we were looking specifically for a certain company. After waiting for over twenty minutes we started to think that this tour bus wasn't our best option, we didn't want to be waiting twenty minutes or more after visiting the various landmarks. I suggested we ditch the tour bus and find another plan, just about then Judy arrived on her Pedicab and offered to take us to the White House, I asked how much and she said $3 or $4 would be fine. We hopped in and Judy took us to the White House, on the way she gave us a commentary of the various landmarks. After visiting the White House we had a look at the White House visitor centre and then got the subway to Arlington National Cemetery, we visited the Kennedy grave site and the visitor centre. The view from the Kennedy grave site towards the Washington Monument was spectacular, particularly as it was a sunny day. We then got the subway back to the Federal Triangle and checked out a few other sites such as the FBI building and Ford's theatre and historical dispalys, the latter was very interesting with lot's of the historical displays based on past Presidents. It was then time to get the Megabus back to New York, Raymond was waiting for us when we got off the bus. Eleanor and I have really appreciated all the hospitality from Millet, Raymond and family during our stay in New Jersey.
Today is a bit of a rest day, we slept in a bit (till 8.30am) and I'm going to try to transfer some video onto a USB stick after I've completed this update. I'll then take a walk around the local neighbourhood of Riverside, it's another cool sunny day outside so it will be nice conditions for a walk.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



5th January 2011

Having a Great Time in NYC and DC!
The Floritas are very happy that the weather is cooperating as New York and DC have lots to offer to see and experience, which you got to do! Your blog, Glen, is always well written and the pictures are just priceless. Enjoy the rest of your stay and soon you will be in "sunny" Florida. Take care. Miss you and love you both, Rose Marie
5th January 2011

Enjoyed your update
Again and again, thanks for keeping the family updated. The pictures are great, the narrative even better as it brings your experiences to life. Take care and do give Eleanor a birthday hug.
6th January 2011

Amazing place
Whew! got exhausted with the trip but I'm enjoying the virtual tour he he he.....thank you so much Glen.....Please greet Manay Happy happy birthday.... New York and Washington D. C.....a place that we have to visit.....thanks Glen. Anthony and Dennis went to watch the Cricket.....Oops England is winning as of this writing.....

Tot: 0.151s; Tpl: 0.042s; cc: 16; qc: 56; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.3mb