May 28 Wawayanda Shelter, NJ to Wildcat Shelter, NY 12.1 miles


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 5th 2009
Published: June 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wind rustled through the trees all night singing quietly in our dreams. No rain fell on our tent only small things dropping off the trees now and again. Temps stayed near 60 degrees so sleeping was comfortable. The two guys in the shelter started to stir about 5:30AM. We rolled out at 6:30. Breakfast was done, tent packed up and we were on the trail by 8:30.

The trail for the first four miles was our last in NJ. Crossing into NY the rocks returned, but these weren't the PA variety. They were spiny backbone ridges that required some climbing skills. Video was taken as we climbed. One of the low points was the cloud cover. Along this stretch you are supposed to see New York City. All we saw was fog! Even though it was a short day we didn't walk our normal 2mph average, the rocks formations slowed us down a little. I did have a small encounter with a sharp stick and tore one of the toes of my shoes. It has been repaired with my ever trusty dental floss and needle. The temp stayed around 60 degrees, but the humidity was real high. The humidity and dew point were so high even the rocks and leafs were sweating! We were sticky all day. We made the shelter by 3:30. "Calling Card and Cyprus" were already in the shelter with the first fire we have had all week. They were not allowed anywhere in NJ. We had time to work on gear and relax by the fire.

Later on Violet and her husband the doctor came into the shelter for the night after a 16 mile day. They had spent two nights at an Inn and slack-packed (you get a shuttle out to the trail and only carry day packs walking back to where you are staying) yesterday so they didn't lose any walking days. Shortly after Violet came in the rain started to get serious. We sat around the fire basking in the heat. CC and Calling Card were deep in Biblical topics while the rest of us listened. Soon enough it was dark and everyone turned in. Tomorrow it will be 12 miles into town for resupply and a motel stay.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

OD and CC have been marking their path with a GPS using SPOT Satellite Messenger and can be tracked at the following link. It keeps track of their last 7 days: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0GzkzKZdmy7ngYeKQAlt24bTBTBUIKFmd


Advertisement



Tot: 0.26s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0826s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb