May 26 High Point Shelter, NJ to Liberty Corners Rd, NJ 11.5 miles to Unionville, NY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York
June 1st 2009
Published: June 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

What a restful night sleeping next to a running stream. I did however wake up once last night thinking about how hard the wind was blowing through the trees. Then I remembered there was a stream just 20' below us. Up at 6:30 and everyone was already up, packed and touching up the final things before heading out. The couple was headed for an Inn some 15 miles up the trail. Mack was headed to Unionville for resupply then back to the trail for another 20 mile day. We were headed to the next shelter 12.4 miles away. We said our good-bys then we ate our breakfast.

Out of camp by 8:30 with the temp hovering just above 50 degrees and CC in her three layers of cloths. We have been hearing the trail and rocks would change once we passed High Point, NJ. We couldn't see how in such a short distance things would change so drastically. Much to our surprise it has! The trail is now mostly dirt covered and the stones have lost the sharp edges. We made great time until about noon. We had stopped for a snack break and Montana Mack caught up to us. He had been into town for supplies. While shopping a guy named Butch introduced himself, gave him a card and said if he needed anything call. He gave us the number and I filed it in my phone. These guys opened their house to hikers for a respite. They will come out and pick you up, take you home, let you shower, do laundry cook you supper and breakfast then take you back to the trail in the morning.

The water situation at the shelter we were headed for was poor. No water there, carry it up there from half a mile down the hill. Walking by the river that looked like a duck pond. It wouldn't even look good after filtering I don't believe. The last choice was an abandoned house just before going into the woods. Coming out of the woods the house didn't look promising and rain was just starting to fall. CC asked when was the next scheduled shower? Many days up the trail I told her. Her reply was make the call. One call and 15 minutes later "The Mayor" showed up to take us home.

The Mayor's house is quite the place. He has opened his home at the request of his late wife. It is not a hostel but a home you are welcomed into. You are served once from then on you are considered family and the house is yours. Dick (Ex Mayor of the village)and Bill an eighty year old friend who lives there also and is the head cook. You have a place to shower and the wash facilities are open to do your cloths. Then after some great conversation Supper is served.
Tonight it was stuffed mushrooms, fresh salad, corn on the cob, marinated radishes, bar-b-qued hotdogs and strawberries over fresh baked apple bread. Oh, Bill was in the restaurant business for a long time. In the past two years there have been over 1,000 hikers here for a night or two. After supper more good conversation and finally to bed at 11. What a great place to dodge a rain storm and be refreshed. Trail Magic at its best. Breakfast is supposed to be just as good as supper.

Patrick, Deborah Mooney aka OD & CC
All Who Wander Are Not Lost

Advertisement



Tot: 0.252s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0893s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb