West Point and Cold Spring


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Westchester
April 9th 2023
Published: April 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Those Mamaroneck Martinis pack a punch! Woke up in Dave and Alex's basement apartment a little disorientated. It doesn't help that these North American houses have so many doors. I know it helps to contain heating but there's 4-5 doors between the guest bedroom and the kitchen. And I tried to walk into a closet thinking it was the stairs. I made it to the kitchen and the kids were up having cereal and joking together. Never a dull moment with Ollie around.

A fresh bagel and Panadol gets me back on track. Alex and Dave booked us into a tour of West Point military academy. It's about an hour from Mamaroneck and we have booked the 11 am slot. It's not an attraction that we'd ordinarily be drawn to but Alex's Dad spoke highly of it and I'm really glad we did it. The military aspect wasn't as dominant as I'd feared and the history was really interesting.

It was also great to drive and follow Dave. At first I thought he was driving like a lunatic. Turning right through red lights, not stopping at stop signs and doing about 15 mph over the speed limit. But, that's how they drive and the red light thing is apparently allowed. And smart if I'm honest. I can trust Dave right? It's a pleasant drive up through the mountains (Bear Mountain I think) once you've survived the interstate freeway, parkway, thruways. So many place names, highway numbers and directions on the overhead signs - I'm forever indebted to the GPS and it's blueline of comfort.

West Point the town is cute and a bit like Gilmore Girls. West Point itself is massive and we board a bus with Bill our friendly American tour guide. He's very personable, has a daughter somewhere south of Sydney and has size 15 shoes. We haven't even boarded the bus and he's identified Oliver as a bit of a character.

West Point dates back to the revolutionary war and the history is fascinating and interesting. There's a portion of a massive chain, the Americans laid across the Hudson River to thwart British ships, remaining as a monument. It has 13 links and Bill asks the group why there are 13 links. Oliver pipes up after a nervous pause by the group, "13 colonies". "Correct! My redheaded friend." We're all impressed with his knowledge of American History and Dave and Alex are shocked. He's 8 years old and not known for his attentive behavior's at school. Could he be a genius?

We find out later that he said 13 because there are 13 colonies (districts) in Hunger Games and he was just guessing.

West Point has a ridiculous level of infrastructure and facilities. Professional Baseball Fields and other sporting fields, world class gymnasiums and an amazing cathedral. The successful cadets have to be between 18 and 23, unmarried, no kids, in the top 5% of their class and have exhibited a leadership role. Once they arrive they have to do as they're told every minute of the day. Army leadership identified early on that cadets who play team sports are better soldiers and fitness through team sports is encouraged. There's a baseball game taking place while we're there and the football stadium looks like it holds a massive crowd. There's a strange grass field with backboards that resemble corn toss board atop poles. Bill explains that its a combination of soccer/hockey and basketball but they use a frisbee. Evented at West Point apparently. Sounds cool!

A monument to casualties of the civil war is surrounded by buried canons and the field is surrounded by statues of generals. George Washington, Ullyses Grant, Macarther and others I can't recall. America's history is defined by the various wars. From the inception after the revolutionary war to the war of 1812 and the civil war to WWI, WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

We sweeten the mood with one of the best ice-creams I think I've ever had at Cold Spring. Another cute town. Historic timber building housing shops line a street leading to the Hudson River and reverse views of West Point from below. Has a bit of a Montville vibe with numerous second hand shops and boutiques. And Ice Cream!

We were promised the best Hot Dogs in Mamaroneck - closed for Easter Sunday. We were promised the best pizza in Westchester - closed for Easter Sunday!

We get Papa Johns Pizza and they are massive and yummy. Dave, Deaks and I drive to collect them from New Rochelle and look for some beers from a CVS Pharmacy and a Servo. The bottle shop...closed for Easter Sunday.

Dinner and a couple of beers sees out a much tamer evening in Mamaroneck. Big drive tomorrow. Toronto! Here we come!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.356s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0531s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb