Rochester diaries (Canoeing)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Rochester
September 29th 2013
Published: October 18th 2013
Edit Blog Post

My first outdoor adventure activity in the US. I was going for canoeing at the Bay Creek Paddling centre on a Sunday morning.

I reached the university first and had a good, healthy and heavy breakfast. It was important as being hungry would have made the activity difficult. When it was time, all of us assembled together, divided ourselves into two groups and left for the bay; a fifteen minute drive from the university.

Instructions were given to us once we were there. It seemed pretty simple. If we had to move left, we had to row on the right and vice versa. If we had to go straight, one of us had to row on the left and the other had to row on the right.

Both my canoe partner and I, had never canoed before and we were the only team with totally inexperienced members. As a result, we did have a few mishaps, like getting blocked by logs and rocks, losing direction and hitting the bay (I got down from the canoe and pushed it back into the water) but after a while, we got a feel of it and started having fun. Small things, like the way you held the paddle, the way you sat down and positioned your body; made a lot of difference. With time, as we grew in confidence, it got warmer and we took off our life jackets. 😊

The water was just a few inches deep at some places, while at some other places it was several feet in depth. Although, rowing for all that while was a good workout, it was also mentally relaxing. It was bright and we could see trees, whose leaves had just started to change colour with the approaching fall. We could also see ducks and swans. We didn't go too close to them as those creatures could get aggressive at times and also because, we did not want to disturb them.

Around two hours later, we were back. The activity was over and I had to get back to the university for an assignment.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



20th October 2013

CANOEING IN ROCHESTER
It was a nice read. The photoes were also impressive. There are much more in the offing for you in the US in your pursuit of adventurism. Go on sharing your exploits with others, i look forward to your new trips and reading about them.

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 15; qc: 29; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb