The Big Apple!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York
August 10th 2006
Published: August 13th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Guggenheim FoyerGuggenheim FoyerGuggenheim Foyer

Too cheap to even buy a postcard so took a picture instead! :-)
OK, firstly apologies to those of you that were hoping to read about what we've been up to but not seen anything yet. We realised that we'd saved the entry but not published it - d'oh! Now hopefully we'll be able to keep you more up to date/provide a welcome distraction at work. :-)
We moved on from Adam and Kat's to stay with Fred Myers another old member from Univ. We made our way across to the Upper west side on the subway, not so easy when you're backpacking and found the awesome guest apartment we were staying in. View of the river and empire state building, rather sweet. The guys we were staying with were fab, took great care of us and threw a cool dinner party, where we were somewhat of a novelty. A British accent gets you anywhere! Did the usual tourist stuff, statue of liberty, central park, bloomingdales (where the sales people don't let you leave without buying something). Also had a bit of culture at the Met and Guggenheim (although dodged the latter as entry was $15 which was a bit steep, so we were chavs and took photos in the amazing foyer and left).


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The MetThe Met
The Met

Kate looking at the map, we found an exhibition called "Anglomania" complete with punk rocker manequin with a mohican made of tampons!
Times Sq at nightTimes Sq at night
Times Sq at night

Becky's rather arty photo. In fact it masks what is tourist hell.
Nice little bridgeNice little bridge
Nice little bridge

Central park i.e. Becky and I couldn't be arsed with shopping and ate ice creams whilst becky eye-bantered "fit" andrew from poland. who was playing the clarinet. yes, really.
The marriott hotel times square The marriott hotel times square
The marriott hotel times square

The view from the top of the Marriott hotel, looking down past the lifts to the foyer. As impressive as the man himself (for those of you who get the joke, sorry to those who don't).
Grand central station in NYGrand central station in NY
Grand central station in NY

Bit better than Manchester Piccadilly.
posing in front of the statue of libertyposing in front of the statue of liberty
posing in front of the statue of liberty

shame becky blocked it out. well, not quite. a mars bar for the person who can spot the statue peeking out. would suggest viewing the full image.
Lower ManhattanLower Manhattan
Lower Manhattan

Taken from the staten island ferry which has beautiful views on one side, new jersey on the other but most importantly it is free.
Becky and Kate in the guggenheimBecky and Kate in the guggenheim
Becky and Kate in the guggenheim

before we scarpered because of the cost


Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.085s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb