From above and beyond


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Queens
October 10th 2011
Published: October 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a first glimpse of what autumn is going to be like, I was extremely happy that summer returned for the long Columbus Day Weekend! But first things first.

One week earlier I got the amazing chance to see New York City from up above by getting invited to do a helicopter flight. It was basically 15 minutes of madness that left me stunned. Now you might ask what's so good about flying over the city when you can actually be right in it? Well, good point guys but after doing a LOT of walking for the last three months and knowing your way around town more or less it is fantastic to see what you're dealing with each and every day. And for me as a helicopter newbie, the mere flight was quite an experience. It started off over Governor's Island (no biggie), curved around Liberty Island (quite a biggie) and then went on up north along the Hudson River. The sheer endlessness of the city's outskirts stay stuck in the head as well as the square structure starting from Houston St upwards that looks unreal from up above. With only five people in the helicopter, the picture taking business is easy and booming.
Of course after such an adventure, one needs to reflect. And what better way than to do that over an icy cold Sam Adams (=beer). Believe it or not, the bardude didn't believe my ID was real, that I was already 25 (I definitely shouldn't have gotten that haircut and the shave just before...). In the end the beer was too tasty as to splash it into his face, maybe next time.

And then summer came back. Without a warning, just at that exact moment when winter hit Switzerland...(hihi). So we figured the saturday was best spent with a Clipper City cruise, the biggest commercial sail boat still in operation. Having had 2 hours to kill before the start of the sail cruise, we found this amazing place down at the South Seaport Pier 17 with cocktails at happy hour prices of $5 (Lime margaritas all the way). And once again, it was Beekman Beer Garden Beach Club time, one of my fav's near the Brooklyn Bridge. The cruise was quite cool, although we were two of maybe 9 people below 50. The sun slowly started to set as we drifted near the Statue Of Liberty where all the good people become thirsty photo-taking vampires, us included. But on a day like this, it's definitely worth it. Unbelievable views...once again!

Sunday turned out to be a Best Of My New York program. No hurry, just chilling for 2 hours in Central Park, then heading over to have a bite at a big street fair right at Times Square, walking down the magnificent High Line Park, going for a stroll through SoHo, checking into Ludlow St for a refreshing mate tea and then enjoying some live music (including a grand piano...again) at Washington Square Park! Where the hell am I???


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



28th October 2011

Envy....
Wow, tönd ja mega toll! New York älei isch ja scho fast unschlagbar aber de nu ä Helikopterflug! Gniäss uf jedä Fall jedä Tag!

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0356s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb