From tourist to citizen


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Queens
July 27th 2011
Published: July 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

If you see the skyscrapers of NYC for the first time, you're overwhelmed, amazed and can't stop looking around for yet even taller buildings. First chance you get, you hop on a terribly overpriced sightseeing bus that drives you to every big or must-see corner of the city. After a hot dog and a coke, you head south to the Staten Island Ferry, pass the Liberty Statue and return by the same ferry to Manhattan just in time to see the lights brighten up at twilight. During the next few days, you cross the Brooklyn Bridge, Central Park, Lincoln Center and the Financial District with Wall St from your to-do-list. And so on...

That's basically the program of a typical tourist and it was my program during the first two weeks here in the States. Not unsurprising, one gets used to the bigness of it all. The skyline is still amazing but it's always there and you start to live alongside it. But the view from Brooklyn Bridge Park at night time over Lower Manhattan was definitely a first highlight!

It wouldn't be a great start of the year if I didn't get sunburnt heavily. And yep, Nidi has done it again. Second sunday in New York, we went to Jones' Beach, a huge bastard of a beach, endless horizon, nice waves to do some amateur body surfing. True holiday feeling! And the fact that I saved on sun screen got me a nice little red back the next day. And it still goes on!

Up to now the days have been packed with exciting activities. After these few weeks, one thing becomes clear already. You can find everything in New York City except one thing: time for yourself! Especially now in summer, there are so many outdoor activities going on, like free concerts at the Central Park or Open Air Cinema Nights at Bryant Park. Went to see the great Wanda Jackson and the wonderful Imelda May at the Summerstage one evening.

And since I only brought few clothes, last Sunday we went to an outlet store in Jersey called Woodbury, a so-called Disneyland for shopaholics. All the fancy and expensive brands have their own stores there. The clothes are fairly cheap, with Timberland shoes for about 30 dollars, Hilfiger shirts for 20 bucks and brand suits for 150 dollars. Unfortunately I purchased so much stuff, that in the end, I didn't really save any money. That's life!

Also, the culinary side of New York City is mind-blowing. From french bistros (Pastis), over hearty american deli's (Gaslight, Katz'😉 to italian or spanish cuisine, there's something in store for everyone. The other night, I tried the "Granny Smith Ravioli" at the Revel, which sounds like a weird combination but it was absolutely fantastic and supposedly the special of that certain restaurant. Even the interior of the restaurant was spectacular, with trees and huge plants covering the entire wall. The popular Meatpacking District around 14th Street is the place to go for some great dining-out. If I had the money, I would be eating out each and every day, even if it's only a delicious NYC-bagel with cream cheese.

And of course, when at work, you always think about holidays. So we've planned a four day trip to Boston in September and will go see the men's quarter final at the US Open on september 7. Lots of exciting stuff coming up!!

And last but not least, last week Dr. Ruth, the famous american sex therapist walked straight into our office to ask me for some advice...on holidays in Switzerland. I would have loved to get some advice from her but unfortunately I didn't recognize her at first. (Hey, I don't need that kind of thing, right? :-) ) Let's just say, that elderly amicable woman just made my day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb