More Manhatten


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
July 29th 2006
Published: July 30th 2006
Edit Blog Post

There is so much to experience and do .... and things all take time ..... it is easy to 'get lost' in this world, so different from ours at home.

We started this day with a late MacDonald's Brunch at Penn Station in Newark before we headed back over to Manhatten. We walked own to the Staten Island ferry after alighting at the World Trade Center station from the PATH train service. These free ferries carry a huge number of passengers back and forth very regularly. It was fun to be out on the ocean waters for this trip and see the Statue of Liberty close by and Ellis Island nearby.

The other major thing we did today was take the trip up the Empire State Building. Perhaps that wasn't wise because the Saturday crowds are probably even worse than week days. Anyway, we did it. We paid a little extra to experience the NY Skyride shown in the tower prior to taking the rocket ride to the 86th floor for the observatory. That Skyride is an IMAX film shown in a rooom that seats about 60 people on a moving platform floor. Participants are secured behind a padded bar in padded seats and as this hair-raising film is shown (as if you are in a helicopter over the Empire State Building) the floor tilts every which way and shakes and jerks to simulate an actual helicopter ride. Rose could not watch much of it because of her tendency to car sickness. As interesting and as 'thrilling' as that ride was, the experience of riding up to the observation deck and viewing the city of New York from 360 degrees from the 86th floor was much more substantial. All veryt impressive and worth the wait in the huge winding waiting lines!

We have booked our Broadway Show "The Drowsy Chaperone" for our last night here on Wednesday. Tomorrow will be moving into a Manhatten Super 8 Motel for one night, then on to the Vanderbilt YMCA for 3 more nights. You may wonder about our sanity but we are here for adventure. YMCA will be bunk beds like a hostel at $88 per night. It is close access to several important spots so we should have quite the experience. We are attempting to attend services at our church near Lincoln Center. Wish us luck in all these transfers and stuff.




Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Don enjoys a new acquaintanceDon enjoys a new acquaintance
Don enjoys a new acquaintance

We meet a lot of pleasant people, This fellow from San Salvador enjoyed a visit with Don.


Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0712s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb