NEW YORK: USA stop #1 "The journey home"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
May 26th 2011
Published: May 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


We left Amsterdam on Sunday, 15th May and technically, we were on our way home, but with 3 short stop overs. Our first stop was in New York. This was also our first, cool, damp weather in nearly 6 weeks of travelling. But fine for the very long walks that we did.

The panorama shows one of the damp scenes from Central Park. Jan's new jacket was perfect for these conditions (thanks Colin) - and I could always spot her in a crowd or against park greens.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cental Park ColourCental Park Colour
Cental Park Colour

Cloudy & some drizzle, but this light brought out the colours - the gardens were beautiful but it was the greenscapes around lakes and in woods that caught the eye.
Ponds & LakesPonds & Lakes
Ponds & Lakes

We spent nearly 5 hours wandering around Central Park - exploring the network of paths, roads, bridges, lawns - just one stop, for lunch.
Food FightFood Fight
Food Fight

These horses pull carriages through Central Park, mainly for older tourists with leg issues. It was funny to watch the pigeons trying to steal the grain between the horse's mouthfuls.
Staten Island FerryStaten Island Ferry
Staten Island Ferry

Our free ferry ride gave us a look at 'The Old Green Lady', as some brochures put it. The wide angle lense makes it look more distant. Then walked 2hrs from waterfront, up Broadway to Central Park.
Top of the RockTop of the Rock
Top of the Rock

We decided on views from The Rockefeller Centre of the Empire State Building - plus downtown New York, Cent Pk, & even Miss Liberty in the distance as the weather cleared.
Times Square, Broadway.Times Square, Broadway.
Times Square, Broadway.

Our second visit - dull, afternoon weather so the lights showed up quite well. It seems like a real hive of activity but 40% of people were sitting, sipping & soaking up the atmosphere.
Taxi ...Taxi ...
Taxi ...

Just before we caught our taxi to the airport I took this shot. Anyone who's been to NY would understand - so often as we waited for lights there would be nothing but a sea of yellow cabs around us.


26th May 2011

The Big Apple
Quite the cultural shock - brings new meaning to the terms Old & New World, eh!
27th May 2011
Times Square, Broadway.

New York! New York!
Looks fantastic - I didn't realise Central Park was so beautiful. Can't believe your on the run home! Take care and we'll see you soon Love Lynn
27th May 2011

Memories
Hi Jan and Garry, thank you for the updated blogs. Thought you may have decided to stay away for ever! It has been lovely reliving our trips through yours. Hope you enjoy Hawaii and we look forward to seeing you soon. PS the pastry swans amazed me too!
31st May 2011
Taxi ...

New York
Your photos are different to my memories. It was unbelievably hot & smoggy - even a little hard to breathe. The rain made to colours look fantastic - I only remember drabness & smog.

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb