Day 1 - "I prefer the front view, it's more interesting"


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 30th 2010
Published: July 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today started early. It was well before 7am when my awesome chauffer for the morning arrived in his batmobile to take me to the airport. Here I was to meet the gentlemen who would be my travelling companions for the next 19 days - Stu, Gerry and Craig (aka Jerry, George and Kramer).

Stu had somehow managed to convince Gerry that he would be the best travelling companion, leaving Craigmer and I to our own devices on a cattle class flight with a different airline. We were pumped - ready for hours of movies, tv shows and in flight entertainment gaming. And then the announcement came ,"Ladies and gentlement, we appologise that he in flight entertainment system for this flight is not working, you will be compensated on arrival in LA by agents from the airline". Disaster had struck before we even left the ground.

Nonetheless, we dutifully boarded the plane, shepherded by aging air hostesses who had clearly lost their enthusiasm for the job and had little love for the huddled masses of budget travellers they serve. Despite the broken IFE system, rude flight attendents, laptops flying across the cabin and the discovery that the Australian drought impacts American based airlines too, we actually had quite a good flight. As a first time flyer, Craig's experience with the on board restrooms gave him a whole new perspective on things.

Upon arrival at Los Angeles International Airport we were photographed, fingerprinted, x-rayed, deprived of shoes, belts and watches and run through the metal detector. Here we also had our first real experience of good old fashioned customer service in the USA - we approached a nice young lady who was directing a line of passengers and politely explained we didn't know where to go to find our flight. This extremely efficient young woman was able to help us immediately - by screaming the single word "OUTSIDE!" at us and pointing to the long line of brow beaten passengers that exteneded outside the terminal. Welcome to America folks.

Fast forward several hours and Craig and I touched down in New York City. After over 25 hours in transit we caught up with Stu and Gerry who had already arrived - both looking very relaxed after their business class flights. After a quick shower, a brief visit to Times Square with Stu and Craig and a slice of American pizza it was time to call it a night, ready to start the real adventure in the morning. First stop - Statue of Liberty.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Making friends with the localsMaking friends with the locals
Making friends with the locals

Note that one looks like he's about to pull his gun


5th July 2010

ha! I like your narration :) I have to ask - what happend to Craig in the bathrooms on the plane.... ? :)
7th July 2010
Headphones on = don't talk to Craig

Kramer
I have seen that face before and you are right Michelle, dont bother talking!!

Tot: 0.16s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0854s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb