The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
November 5th 2009
Published: November 5th 2009
Edit Blog Post

no honking in NYC?no honking in NYC?no honking in NYC?

that's an oxymoron
Although we once thought of moving to Manhattan for a year, we have now completely reconsidered and are very content with that decision. For the time we stayed, however, it was an adventure. The first day we walked all around the city from West 50th, through Greenwich village, down to ground zero which is surrounded by construction barrier and scaffolding. While there we discovered a small church which is the oldest, still used, building in Manhattan. Because it was unaffected by 9-11, it has become somewhat of a memorial ground after serving as a refuge for volunteer firefighters during the aftermath of the twin towers. It was a great spot for some reflection and the surrounding cemetery provided for a glimpse back in history. Afterward we started walking back north through the east village and then to china town where we ate a magnificent (and inexpensive) dinner of freshly pulled whole wheat noodle and beef soup. We left sated but thirsty as no drinks were served—to anyone, not just us. A brief glance at what’s left of little Italy having been somewhat taken over by China town brought us back to midtown and Time Square. The chaotic rushing rat race is overwhelming, albeit if we were to live there, we wouldn’t have lived downtown. The second day in the city, we found respite in Central park, though we could never quite get a clear view of the sky without a building in the corner of our eyes. I’m reluctant to admit it but Subway and Starbucks seem to be a salvation all along this trip; Subway for a quick, cheap bite with tons of vegetables and Starbucks for free wi-fi. Our last night in New York was Thursday, the day before the departure of our ship from Brooklyn. We went to our first Broadway production: a fabulously energetic rendition of Mary Poppins that transported me back to my childhood and provided for a truly memorable evening. We had originally planned to see Wicked, but Mary Poppins, at about a quarter of the price suited us and left us to possibly enjoy something else along the way. Friday morning we caught the subway into Brooklyn and decided to walk to the port. Along the way we stopped in a little pub for lunch. A gentleman at the bar noticed all of our luggage and started up a conversation. We ended up chatting with us for over an hour after which he offered us a ride to the port. It sounds like a strange situation but at the time it was perfectly natural and we both felt comfortable. He took us over and dropped us off directly in front of our ship check-in station which, retrospectively, would have been quite a walk. It was a perfect coincidence. Who ever said New Yorkers weren’t friendly! With our bags checked we looked up to admire the vessel of the next leg of our journey.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

badgesbadges
badges

left by firefighters and police officers from all over the world
baxter from abovebaxter from above
baxter from above

our sweet boy!!
china townchina town
china town

even the street signs are in Chinese
market in china townmarket in china town
market in china town

a photo to enlarge and frame


5th November 2009

BRIDGE, sorry
mishap

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0178s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb