Day 2.... Hot hot hot


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
August 5th 2009
Published: October 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Up early to return the rental car... and head to City Hall to get our marriage licence.

Wed been pre-warned to arrive early as it can be busy.

We hailed a taxi down to the Financial District, and found City Hall. We went in and were confronted with a big reception desk, and a bloke who asks why you are there. He then pushes a button and gives you a specific ticket, then tells you to wait in line. It was a bit like waiting for your goods in Argos. There are computer screens showing the numbers and telling you which desk to go to for service when its your turn.

It was an interesting experience, if you enjoy people watching. All sorts of people heading into the chapel, where a marriage takes 36 seconds apparently. There was a young girl in a tiny designer dress, with the blue Manolo Blahnik shoes from the Sex and The City movie!!! There was a young marine and his fiancee, with both their families, all dressed up. There was also people in jeans. There is a small shop where they have beautiful fresh bridal bouquets all made up, and there is a backdrop set up for photographs.

We were there for almost an hour, then headed out into the heat. at 940am it was really hot on the top of your head. We got some breakfast bagels from a street seller and had breakfast by a big fountain. Afterwards we went a walk around and realised we were at Ground Zero. It is a really strange feeling when you are in such a built up area, to turn a corner and be faced with wide open space.

We headed back up Manhattan, towards the flower district to meet our florist. It was a long walk in the heat, but nice to walk through all the different areas! Our florist, Brian, was brilliant! All sorted there, we headed up to Times Square. We were yet to meet Neil, Kate, Karen & Sally (Lauras family) so we were trying to find out where they were, then theyd move and we were in a different shop etc. Laura was confident however that we would "bump into them" - Graham thought she was crazy! But as we came out of a shoe shop, there they were across the street!!!

From here we
Graham & LauraGraham & LauraGraham & Laura

Waiting for Marriage Licence, City Hall
went to Bubba Gumps Shrimp Company for a late lunch, in Times Square. Great view! Food was amazing. Graham and Neil had the "Bucket of Boat Trash", which was a metal bucket full of fish, shrimp, Lobster and fries. You also get a free glass here depending on what you buy to drink!! They have these fabulous signs on the tables - when everything is ok at your table you leave it at "Run Forrest Run" if you have a problem, flip it over to "Stop Forrest Stop" and a waitress will come over!!! Sally who loves "Forrest Gump" was treated to a quiz by our waitress, it was great fun.

From here we wandered up to the South West entrance to Central Park. We entered this corner at 4.15pm.
We walked up past Tavern on the Green, a famous restaurant/bar, with an amazing outdoor terrace, with the huge hedge animals! There was a rabbit, a gorilla, a horse etc.

We received a text from Julie and Allan who had just arrived in NY, they were coming a walk to the park for some fresh air and would meet us. We bumped into them near to our Wedding venue, the Ladies Pavillion. We were really pleased to see how beautiful the pavillion looked and the view and area were amazing. We took some pictures on the rocks by the pavillion. There were people fishing in the lake, and there are Terrapins in the lake too!

From here Allan and Julie headed to their hotel. We headed to Bedethsa fountain, where we met some people offering massages on their home-adapted stools! Laura, Kate, Karen and Sally all had one, $10!!
Graham headed under the archways near the fountain, where there are the amazing tiled roofs, where he could hear a busker playing.

Graham asked him to play at our wedding on the Friday. Dominique said he had done several Central Park weddings this year, and played mainly Beatles tunes - Graham was delighted! After chatting for a while, the rest of the gang came to listen to him play too. We agreed a price and paid him half up front. Neil was sure wed never see him again!!!

We wandered down Poets Walk (The Mall) another famous scene from movies! Where we were surrounded by fire flies!! Having never seen them before we watched them for a while! We left the south east corner of the park, by the Plaza at 9pm!!!!! and wed only covered the bottom third of the park!!!!

Window shopping along the way, we came across the lovely piece of art on the street, a huge LOVE sign, and had our pictures taken here. By now we were all pretty tired and hungry, so we went our seperate ways. We went to McDs again as it was on the way to our hotel, and Graham went and caught a pedicab to take us home! Brilliant day!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

The GangThe Gang
The Gang

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Times Sq NYC
Neil & GrahamNeil & Graham
Neil & Graham

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Times Sq NYC
Graham & LauraGraham & Laura
Graham & Laura

Bubba Gump Shrimp Co Times Sq NYC
NYPDNYPD
NYPD

Times Square
LauraLaura
Laura

Entering Central Park
SallySally
Sally

Sally and the big rabbit, Tavern on the Green, Central Park
GrahamGraham
Graham

Graham and the big rabbit, Tavern on the Green, Central Park
GrahamGraham
Graham

Central Park
Allan, G, Laura & JulieAllan, G, Laura & Julie
Allan, G, Laura & Julie

checking out the view from our venue!


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 5; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0424s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb