The Big Apple


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
September 29th 2006
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Owen in Times SquareOwen in Times SquareOwen in Times Square

Times Square New York.. looking good bro.
Spent 4 days in New York, which was pretty cool.

We did all the touristy things whilst there, walked Brooklyn Bridge, Empire State Building, Staten Island ferry to see Statue of Liberty at sunset then return to see Manhattan skyline at night, looks just like the movies! Also went to Ground Zero, quite a sobering place when you start looking at the photo exhibition there documenting the attacks. Also there was a fun run that day raising money for the victims, so there were firefighters and police from all over the USA, and mothers wearing t shirts with their dead sons or husbands pictures on - certainly made you think.

Checked out Donald Trumps tower, but don’t think he was in as we weren’t automatically invited up for tea as we assumed we would be - don’t you know who we are! Also Rockefeller Centre Apple Store and Central Park we spent a lot of time riding subway as its easiest way of getting around. Times Square is busy all day and night as far as we could make out, also went to a comedy night that is filmed for Comedy Central TV channel, although not the night we
Brooklyn BridgeBrooklyn BridgeBrooklyn Bridge

Says it all really..
were there!

Could spend a lot longer there with so much to do, but after a while starts to get expensive and the 24/7 kind of in your face busyness of the place gets a bit wearing, But still had a great time there it is the Big Apple after all.

Next stop was Los Angeles, having said goodbye to my brother Owen at the airport in NYC as he flew home at the end of his round the world trip -think it’s fair to say he wasn’t ready to head home yet. Had a fantastic time traveling with him for 2 weeks (thanks bro) and not gonna see him again for another year so bit sad.

Weather in Southern California was great sunny and hot, with mountains all around the area. Stayed in Santa Monica right near the beach as I didn’t really fancy staying in the middle of LA so I spent a couple of days chilling by beach, checking out Venice Beach board walk and Malibu beaches. Went up to Hollywood and Beverly Hills to see walk of fame, Kodak theatre (home of Oscars), Rodeo Drive etc.

It was a bit strange going to a local bar and talking to people, what do you do? I work in animated film production etc... as for me well I’m dossing around the world.

Saw a bit of excitement in Santa Monica on a night out when we saw a policeman shoot at a pickup truck that tried to drive away, he shot it in the bumper twice but the guy got away, this was on a Friday night on a busy street with people all over the place. A bit extreme but not as scary as you expect more a shock to see it happen - America eh?

From LA I headed up to Yosemite National Park to do some hiking and check out one of the natural wonders. So till next time.






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

New York Stock ExchangeNew York Stock Exchange
New York Stock Exchange

Can you guess where we are??


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb