USA Part Deux


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
December 7th 2006
Published: December 12th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Back in the U-S of A and we finished our trip in New York.... and what a great time of year it was to be in the city with all the Christmas songs, decorations and upbeat mood of the people. Running a very close second to the Belizeans were the New Yorkers for great friendly attitude and general happy moods while we were there - well where else would you get "Free Hugs"!

After managing our way round the subway to our hotel in Midtown, we came across, by pure chance, what was voted the best pizza place on the upper west side in Sal and Carmines, and we gorged ourselves on Pepperoni and Margherita for the few days were there (well we were sampling the local fare!).

For the first day or two, we crammed in the sights, from WTC, Empire State, Rockefeller, Central Park to Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (where we saw on a ships log from April 1897 a Richard Keane, Carpenter from Belmullet emigrated to New York, along with what must've been 1/2 the then population of Mayo from Killala to Ballinrobe).

After the obligatory sights, there was the mad dash to
FREE HUGS!!FREE HUGS!!FREE HUGS!!

At the WTC site
the shops. where we encountered a ridiculous amount of Irish people in every shop - it was like shopping on Henry Street - and the mountain of bags that everyone had was obscene.... in a bus queue of 200, there must've been over 180people from Ireland.

Finally, heading home - and typical, first delay on the whole trip is Aer Lingus, with a 4 hour delay to Dublin and the official word of "a bird has flown into the propellor" being the reason given to travellers. It's been a crazy trip, and I can't believe the 9 months are up so soon....I'm not sure I'd manage it again. Looking back over the blog is bringing back many happy memories, and I'm sure, after a few days at home the feet will start itching again!


Additional photos below
Photos: 41, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

ManhattanManhattan
Manhattan

Chrysler Building
ManhattanManhattan
Manhattan

Flatiron


12th December 2006

Well done you two!
Well done you two its been quite the trip! I give it three weeks before the novelty of being home wears off and you get itchy feet again... You'll be welcome back in Sydney anytime!
18th December 2006

Congrats on finishing an amazing tour with both of you still alive. Your photos of Ellis Island remind me of the FIVE HOURS I spent there in 2004 waiting for my dear father to have his fill of what the family now lovingly terms 'history shite'. Having a look at my bookshelf, I fear I may be destined to the same fate.. Have never done NYC any later than November so it's an interesting look at it through your lens. How did they let ye plundering international terrorists into the U.N.? Will miss the blogs!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb