More New York sightseeing and a Broadway show.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » New York » Manhattan
June 19th 2018
Published: June 20th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Headed Downtown on the Hop On Hop Off bus today, starting back in Times Square, then past Madison Square Garden, Empire State Building, Macy's, Flatiron building (some of which we had seen last night) and into the financial district. Got off at Trinity Church which is at the start of Wall Street, and close to Ground Zero. It was covered in debris on 9/11. Walked down to the 9/11 Memorial (Ground Zero) to see the waterfalls and reflecting pools that are in the footprint of the Twin Towers. The name of every person who died is inscribed around the edges of the pools, and the staff place a white rose next to a name on that person's birthday. Couid also see One World Trade Centre (the tallest building in the western hemisphere, and the main building of the rebuilt World Trade Centre complex).

Then walked back up to, and down Wall St, saw the New York Stock Exchange, then back on the bus, just for a short distance to Battery Park. Walked through the park to the water, where we could see the Statue of LIberty (and the boats going to visit her). Walked around the park, found the Seaglass Carousel and then somewhere for lunch.

Back on the bus for a hot and slow ride back up to the Rockefeller Centre. Walked around Rockefeller Plaza (where they have the Christmas Tree and Ice Rink in winter), there was a food festival going on, but we had already eaten. Decided it was easier to walk back to the hotel, past Radio City Music Hall, than hop on the bus again.

Found a supermarket/pre-prepared food shop across from the hotel (too hard to do a restaurant dinner before the theatre) and bought dinner to go.

Went to the theatre early to pick up our Waitress tickets, only to find (yet another) long queue. We were not sure what was going on, so I went inside to see what was happening and Trina joined the queue. Could pick up the tickets inside, but the queue was to get into the theatre! They only open the doors at 6.30pm for a 7pm show. There was nowhere inside to stand around, just straight to your seat (via the "waitress" selling wine in "Waitress" cups). Great show, and a 5 minute walk back to the hotel!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0299s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb