Another wedding and another boat


Advertisement
Published: September 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Just two months after we attended the wedding at Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY, and just two days after exiting our cruise ship from Canada, we find ourselves once again in the area for another wedding and back onto a boat. About twenty miles north of New Paltz, on the western side of the Hudson River, is the town of Kingston, New York State’s first capital. The drive along the river gave nice scenic views, spotted surprisingly frequently with religious retreats and monasteries, whose impressive stone structures add a historic feel to the area, though perhaps their many gift shops did not.

The GPS takes us along an old, infrequently used bridge, which stretches its skinny two lane body across a tributary river. Kingston’s waterfront, called the Rondout, is a nice area to walk along, with a commercial area of old buildings and outdoor eateries. River cruises leave from the harbor, including the Rip Van Winkle, beside tugboats which have been retired and displayed on land. The Hudson River Maritime Museum and Lighthouse can be found within a short walking distance, though time did not allow us to enter. We also did not have time to see what I am told is another nice part of town, the Stockade District, however, Kristen and I plan to take a day trip back up to this area at some point and really explore it.

The wedding itself presented memorable experiences worth sharing. The ceremony took place before a bandstand, in a small park beside the water. The couple’s friend, who had recently obtained a wedding certification through an online church, gave a very nice speech. Everything went smoothly until a loud squawking drowned out the hired singer - a parrot on the back of a docked boat decided to join in, and the owners tried their best to quiet him. In the spirit of good memories, photos were taken of the newlyweds with the bird.

From the ceremony we all piled on to a small cruise ship, where dinner would be served, which took us a few miles down the Hudson and back. Luckily, the weather was warm, with sunny skies and mild temperatures. Gilded Age mansions including, we think, Vanderbilt’s, flanked the shore as the ship meandered past old lighthouses. Along the way, passing boats waved and screamed in recognition of the celebration. As we made our return voyage the dusk sky became a deep read, and Kristen and I sat upon the prow, enjoying the view and the cool breeze.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 53; dbt: 0.091s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb