"South for the Winter": Niantec Bay, CT to Oyster Bay,NY


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New York » Binghamton
October 30th 2007
Published: November 6th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Niantec Bay,CT to Oyster Bay,NY


Tuesday. Oct 30th. Niantec, CT to Oyster Bay, NY.

We had a horrible night at anchor the boat was rolling all night. Vito wanted to be underway by 0700 to catch the tide going south in Long Island. By sunrise as we made ready, the laptop wouldn’t catch the signal from the GPS antenna. An hour went by and I got ready to navigate by paper and then Vitto decided to erase Norton and discovered that it was blocking entry to the necessary computer port.
We left the anchorage at 0816 with the tide 1.5 kts. in our favor and GPS working.
At 0921 we went by Long Sand Shoal. The swells got big, wind 10 to 15 Kts out of the west right on the nose. It was a rough ride. The aft blower and the forward head stopped working. Something electrical perhaps.
We noticed Sybrook in the distance.
We ran almost 60 nm on the same course 271º to 273º through Long Island Sound. It became pretty demanding steering because of the many lobster traps all around..
At 1402 we went by Strafford Shoal Ground another one of my favorites.
We passed Port Jefferson and saw the ferries that go across to Connecticut. They appeared to be transporting like aliens. Lololo.
At 1650 we entered Oyster Bay looking for good holding to anchor. At 1816 we dropped the hook inside the bay at 40º53’35”N 073 º32’05”W right at sunset. “West Harbor”.
We logged 71 nm today.


More Pics


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0325s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb