2009 East Coast trip


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
May 21st 2009
Published: May 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ale Inn night stayAle Inn night stayAle Inn night stay

Ale Inn night stay
Our trip to the East coast began on Wednesday May 13. We traveled to The Smith Valley in Nevada, about 40 miles East of Gardnerville, to visit our friends Vicky Jo and Marlene. They are the breeders of our Diva. It was great to see them again and the 6 puppies who are 4 weeks old and adorable.

The next morning we drove southeast across Nevada along Hwy 93. It was a beautiful drive across Nevada, my favorite drive through Nevada so far. As we drove along the Extraterrestrial Highway, we saw crop circles and beautiful views. We spent the night in the lot of the Ale Inn, A- Le- Inn, where Human Beings were welcome.


We moved on to the St. George, Utah where we stayed at a Western Horizon Resort. We visited Zion National Park for a brief time before moving on the next day, east bound. We traveled along a southern route, Hwy 89 alternate, towards Arizona. We climbed to 8000 ft and found a nice campground at Jacob Lake. It will be a nice place to investigate in the future since it is not to far from the North rim of the Grand Canyon.
A-le-innA-le-innA-le-inn

Extraterrestrial outing.
The Vermillion Cliffs were beautiful and we stopped to visit the National Pipe Springs monument.

After entering Arizona I wanted to stay on the two lane highways rather than the interstates. (Priscilla warned me...) I drove through the Hopi Indian reservation on Hwy 264. It was not a good drive and we don't recommend it. We continued to drive from 5500 ft to 7000ft elevation. It was a long 100 miles and I would not take route again. It seemed like it was a continuous up and down and I am sure I used a significant amount of fuel.

We spent that night at a very nice Elks lodge #1440 in Gallup, New Mexico. It was a peaceful night and a quiet morning. We traveled across New Mexico and enjoyed the drive. I was surprised to learn that most of the trip in NM was at an elevation above 5000 ft. Carlsbad Caverns National Park was terrific. We had both been at the caverns in the past but could not remember much about the cavern. This is a fascinating place which I would recommend to everyone.

As we continued east across Texas the landscape was not like
PICT4609PICT4609PICT4609

Zion National Park
I had been led to believe. Priscilla says that we avoided a lot of the less scenic areas because of the route we took. It was very green and beautiful in the Hill Country. The trees could be seen for what seemed like a hundred miles. We visited Kerrville for a nights stay at another Elks Lodge #2081. Our day trip was to Fredericksburg, TX to the National Museum of the Pacific War. This city is the birthplace of Admiral Nimitz. His family was one of the founding members of the city. The museum was very good and we really needed more time to see and enjoy the exhibits. This is a must see. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

San Antonio was also very nice with the visit to the Alamo as the highlight. It was great to visit history and be reminded of the significance of this historic battle. The Riverwalk was very lush and green but we felt it was very commercial and we did not choose to stay all afternoon. We then went out to a nice Italian restaurant to celebrate Priscilla's birthday (40th!!). 😊 Priscilla's Dad was born here at Fort Sam Houston and her Grandparents lived here for several years.

We are currently at a Western Horizons resort in Rockport, TX. We are about 40 miles north of Corpus Cristi along the gulf coast. The weather has been better than we anticipated. The humidity has not been too bad and the afternoon and evening breezes are great. The seafood is great and this is a great place to stay over the Memorial Day weekend. We had forgotten about the holiday and wanted to make sure we had a place to stay this weekend while on the gulf coast.

We haven't taken the time to see everything that we wanted to see~ It will take more than two or three trips through this beautiful country to feel as if we aren't missing something wonderful. Priscilla and I are really enjoying our time on the road and this fantastic opportunity to see our country. We have looked forward to this trip since the 80's, so we have a lot to catch up on!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Zion Nat'l ParkZion Nat'l Park
Zion Nat'l Park

Kolob Canyons
PICT4625PICT4625
PICT4625

Diva @ the Vermillion Cliffs
Carlsbad CavernsCarlsbad Caverns
Carlsbad Caverns

Natural entrance
Carlsbad CavernsCarlsbad Caverns
Carlsbad Caverns

Long hike down to the cavern


24th May 2009

disappointed
i was disappointed that you did not pick up a playmate for diva. i expected to see a pup with her in the pictures. ha. continue to explore and enjoy this beautiful country. hope you will get to see some real southern mansions in louisiana. watch out for vampires. stay "cracked", love, vanice and penny

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb