The Story of Bucky and Anne The Dragon Lady


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
May 10th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

While we're waiting for the next report from the crew, here's something you need to know.

There are very few flying clubs -- in fact, none others that I know -- that have not only a Dragon but a Dragon Lady, too.

Did you know that Anne and a club colleague created Bucky the Dragon, our mascot, both in name and found the stuffed version? Not all dragons can fly, but Anne, our Wise Woman, knew how to let this one commit lift in a way we could follow: she made the flying helmet and the goggles with the scarf.

First, some things you need to know about dragons in general (with credit to www.orderofthewhitelion.com, and editorial comments from Judy Bradt). Despite ours being a flying creature, dragons are a symbol of the Earth Goddess, and represent her powers of fertility and wisdom. The word "drakon" comes from the verb "to see" or "to watch". Because of their loyalty, they were often used to protect magical items such as the "Golden Fleece" and the "Golden Apples of Hesperides", and even the virtue of wives and young maidens. (okay, let's move on...)

They have also been noted for their keen eyesight, and all are supposed to be wise and sharp-eyed. Now that's very a propos, as you'll see shortly, for this group.

Dragons are reptiles, although some species may be warm blooded. They are fiercely territorial, and protective of their mate, and in some cases their young. Most of them have an internal organ or gland, which allows them to "breath fire", but this is usually only used as a defensive action or warning, and sometimes during mating rituals and encounters with poorly informed Flight Service Specialists.

Most species are carnivorous, but only eat occasionally on such things as deer, oxen or sheep. Some eat fish and some of the smaller kind eat insects, berries, fruit and vegetation. THERE IS A WARNING SIGN in the CFC trailer that cautions against annoying the Dragon, however, reminding anyone even remotely thinking of doing so that "...because, you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Several species of dragons fly, but not all with the aid of wings. As with some birds the prevailing winds and the earth's magnetic field are often used. Dragons can reach sexual maturity from 25 years, in some species, to 300 years in others. Exactly when most CFC members reach and maintain any significant maturity for a sustained period has yet to be recorded.

Someone who consumed dragon tongue would outwit any man in an argument. However, smart consumers always know better than to take on ANY Dragon Lady, most particularly Anne! Dragons teeth, when buried, gave rise to the Sparti, an almost unstoppable violent fighting force. Rumors of dragon teeth buried outside the trailer have NO documented correlation with the CFC's continuing triumph over a mythical life form called Wing Weenies.

Dragons are sometimes attracted to people, but only those with "open and good hearts", for they are said to have feelings just like us, and their magical powers can allow them to see into the "very soul" of the individual.

Which is how Bucky met and befriended Anne.

Now, about Bucky.

Some may know that this club / squadron is nicknamed "The Reluctant Dragons". The dragon symbol is proudly displayed on the back of all CFC airplanes and is proudly sported on the ballcaps of the C2C crew as well as emblazoned on various clothing items (in case the crew members are found wandering the streets, so people know where to return them).

You can also see the dragon on the tail of some of the model aircraft hanging in the FBO restaurant at GAI. And if you eat at McDonalds near the airpark, check out their hanging aircraft as well. The dragon is everywhere.

Anne herself adds, "Though there have been no confirmed sightings of dragon’s teeth around the trailer, ancient history buffs should be (as ancient club members know first-hand) aware that this is not the original site of the club trailer. I think there is a building on top of the original site at GAI, on the east side of the runway as you approach the threshold on the 32 approach. Urban archaeologists (I am surprised the club doesn’t have one; we seem to have everything else!) will no doubt be able to find, if not dragon’s teeth, then at least a goodly number of raccoon droppings (and perhaps a beer bottle cap or two) in the area.


"The patch was actually designed up in Frederick at the airport restaurant, on a particularly boring day on a SAR exercise. I have the original drawings somewhere around here, executed much in the same way as Bob’s first chart of the C2C trip - but not on a napkin - we used a paper placemat (it was a high-class restaurant). And then Bob and others set about getting hats and patches made. There are some really funny stories associated with that…"

An un-dated, un-signed "Unauthorized History" in the club office cabinet purports to explain. Bob Hawkins retyped it exactly as it appears, to share the story with you. Grammar and spelling are the originals. They're not my own.

***********************************
The Reluctant Dragons
An Unauthorized History

Throughout the history of man there have been references to and symbolic use of
the dragon. In some cases, especially the more ancient references, these analogies
have been to a ferocious being. These ancient tales often center on dragons and
some extend mystical properties to these creatures. And, most of us are familiar
with the stories of dragons during medieval times. Even today there are
substantive references to the dragon. Symbolically, the dragon has come to
epitomize strength and purity of purpose (personality). Western civilization has
transposed the dragon from a fierce being to a benevolent and caring one that is
grossly misunderstood and not appreciated for its concern for the welfare of
mankind. A modern day example would be the fairy tale called "Pete's Dragon" or
"Puff the Magic Dragon." And, one should not forget the Oriental "Year of The
Dragon." Conversely having "Dragon Breath", better known as really bad breath, is
usually socially unacceptable.

Thus, many people relate to the dragon as a positive force in today's society.
This is true for Western as well as the Oriental cultures.

With this abstract historical background in mind...

By the mid-1960s Montgomery Senior Squadron had relocated from the Congressional
airport (where it was originally chartered as Congressional Squadron and the basis
for the name Congressional Flying Club) to Davis airport (Laytonsville, MD) and
finally to Montgomery County Airpark (Gaithersburg, MD).

At this time the Squadron was particularly active in Civil Air Patrol and part of
the National Capitol Wing. It was the general consensus of the Squadron membership
that given their current home (Montgomery County Airpark) and that most of the
members resided in Maryland, it was more appropriate that the Squadron be part of
Maryland Wing. This transfer was accomplished in the late 1960s.

It was about this time that the name "Reluctant Dragons" came into popular use by
the Squadron membership. To put this in the appropriate perspective - remember
that the general membership was very active as a Civil Air Patrol Squadron, one of
the largest flying clubs within CAP, and probably one of the largest squadrons in
the country (this is still true today). As an example of this commitment to CAP
the Squadron and the flying club jointly funded, researched, and developed the
"Null Wing" technique used to determine the location of ELTs. This technique
preceeded the availability of airborne Direction Finding (DF) equipment and
satellite tracking. This is still a viable methodology today for search and rescue
aircraft without DF equipment. As a matter of fact, the drawings found in the CAP
manual on how to locate an ELT using this technique are part of the project
documentation submitted to CAP by the Squadron.

This and many similar activities along with some self-promoting publicity
ultimately accounted for the name "Reluctant Dragons" which has come to personify
the Squadron and the flying club. Frequently the squadron showed up for a REDCAP
with as many as 18 aircraft and extra search crews. It was not unusual for them to
have 10 or more aircraft and 15 search crews at a SAR.

With this rather aggressive reputation and activity level, the nickname of the
"Dragon Squadron" had begun. This combined with a parallel reputation of being the
Black Sheep of CAP (this reputation still exists today) and a dash of pride
regarding their accomplishments led to the use and general acceptance of the name.
The reluctant part was the result of a comment by and unnamed cynic who
said..."The only reluctant thing about these guys is their reluctance to wear the
uniform." This is as true today as it was then. The squadron quickly changed the
moniker to the "Reluctant Dragons" and promoted the use of it whenever possible.
There was more self indulgence and pride in their accomplishments than a conscious
effort on anyone's part to sell or promote the name. As a matter of fact, the name
was in and out of use during the 1970s and did not really resurface until the
1980s. Throughout this period there was no logo - all that existed was the name.

The patch or logo as it exists today was principally designed and developed by
Anne Culver and Bob Hawkins, with input from a lot of club and squadron members.
It should be noted at this point that the design of the current patch was done
without the consent or involvement of the Board of Directors of Congressional
Flying Club, the staff of Montgomery Senior Squadron (with a couple of
exceptions), or the Squadron Commander (Earl Burns). Those in power who were
involved were sworn to secrecy and shall remain nameless to protect their
reputation - if they had any to start with. We selected these co-conspirators for
their ability to keep a secret, knowledge of the club, their sense of humor, but
primarily their love of a good practical joke. The entire project (the patch,
design, and production) was done covertly and primarily for the fun of it - as so
many of the activities of the club are done - for the fun and enjoyment of the
members. Lastly, the patch was designed to reflect the Squadron and the Flying
Club as it had existed and functioned for 30 plus years.

There is considerable tongue in cheek as well as sarcasm in the patch. For
example, this is supposed to be a CAP Squadron patch - yet the scarf of the dragon
contains the letters CFC representing the Congressional Flying Club. The dragon is
red because during the 1960s Bob Hawkins wore a red jumpsuit that irritated the
Maryland Wing staff no end. At the time there was no regulation about the color of
flight suits so there was little they could do. The portly appearance of the
dragon reflects the somewhat sedate lifestyle of many members. The whimsical smile
reflects the mutual friendship, comradeship, and occasional practical joke (for
which there is a deserved reputation) shared by the members.

In addition, the radial engine is inappropriate for the aircraft depicted and, of
course, the propeller is turning the wrong way. Even the landing gear doesn't go
with the aircraft. At one point during the design period, the ubiquitous
caricature of Kilroy was looking from the cockpit. If that wasn't enough, the
original designs (drafts) had a beer mug or wine glass in one hand and a six pack
in the other. It was decided that this wouldn't fly (pun intended) so it was
changed to a wrench to depict the maintenance activities of the club while the
binoculars represented our commitment and involvement in search and rescue
activities.

Needless to say, everyone had a lot of fun designing the patch and it has come to
symbolize the squadron and is recognized by all of the squadrons in Maryland Wing
and many squadrons and pilots in nearby areas. This recognition comes from the
fact that the patch is unusual and a bit defiant, which effectively reflects the
squadron and its attitude through the years. It is a fact that the more people you
ask regarding the history of the patch the more divers answers you are likely to
get.

As a matter of fact, I'm not even sure you should trust this explanation!

- Author Unknown


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0476s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb