We finally made it to New Mexico!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico
February 3rd 2007
Published: February 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Beep-BeepBeep-BeepBeep-Beep

The first road-runner we could actually get a picture of!
Here we are in New Mexico and we already like it better than Texas. To be fair, we did not explore a lot in TX and we skipped Big Bend due to the unexpected break-down, which we know would’ve been a great stop. But we had to keep movin’ on, and there was just a feeling when we hit NM that we liked.






We decided to stay at Brantley Lake State Park, the last state park to be added to NM. It’s a great little sight with jackrabbits hopping all around, making the cat crazy - Wheeler wouldn’t mind if we let him chase one, either, but we won’t. We did take him on a hike down to the lake that we all enjoyed. The weather was beautiful, as you can see I’m even wearing short sleeves! A nice break from the rainy, cold weather we have been getting, and the sun should help cure the colds we both managed to pick up along the way.








Along with the jackrabbits, we have also seen a lot of hawks and even some road-runners! Even though we saw our first road-runners in Ft. Stockton, they are exciting every time one runs across your path. They are bigger and longer than you would think, and boy are they fast, just like the cartoons, and we were lucky to snap a few quick photos before he ran out of sight.








Monday (5th) we took a ride over to Carlsbad Caverns. I’m making this another page on the blog so I can add a few extra pics of the caverns. And you know how we love our pictures, and just think about how many don't make it to these blogs! Ahhhhhh digital photography!








On our last day here, we decided to go on a hike to Sitting Bull Falls. It was a beautiful day and we had an excellent time. The falls weren’t that high, maybe 150 feet, but the water sprayed down through the sunshine, making for a pretty sight. We hiked down to the bottom which was rock and small ‘rivers’ from the falls, and we even found some snow to play in. After playing snow-ball with Wheeler, who absolutely loves snow, we hiked back up and decided we would go to the top. It was a steep trail, not kid friendly, and we were out of breath by the time we reached the top (anyone want a cigarette?). It was worth it! We were at the same level as the top of the waterfall so we could still see the water going over the edge, which dropped off straight to the bottom.








After a snack and some water, Tom explored around a bit while I was taking pictures and before I knew it I could here him calling me from far away. I looked around and around and then UP! He had found a trail that took him and Woo even higher. After taking some pictures of them, it was my turn to go up. I am not a friend of heights, so I was nervous at the top - and the high winds didn’t help. I made Tom take some pictures of me, to show my bravery of course, and headed back down. The sun would be setting soon so we decided it was time to go.








Upon driving out we found Sitting Bull and stopped to check him out. No one knows why he was named Sitting Bull, they didn’t indicate that it was named after the actual Sitting Bull, but some speculated this one was an old Indian who liked to sit and tell long stories to those who’d listen.






Sorry it took so long to get these last few updated but we have had no reception where we have been. I'll be updating a lot to catch up, just a warning!






Well, it’s time to go for now, be sure to check out the Carlsbad Caverns page for some cool pictures. As always…






Happy Trails and Peace Out,





Tom and Jess



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Indian ShelterIndian Shelter
Indian Shelter

On the way to Sitting Bull Falls we came across an Indian rock shelter that we hiked down to. This thing was enormous, look how small Tom is!
Wheelers new buddy   BuddyWheelers new buddy   Buddy
Wheelers new buddy Buddy

At Sitting Bull Falls in the Lincoln National Forest
A hollow in the rock A hollow in the rock
A hollow in the rock

You'd swear he is part billy goat the way he hops from rock to rock!
Around the corner from the fallsAround the corner from the falls
Around the corner from the falls

The water pools here and continues on, making for some green algae.
Looking over the edgeLooking over the edge
Looking over the edge

It is a straight drop down to the water and rocks!
View from the topView from the top
View from the top

Further up than it looks, our car looked so small. That is the steep side we climbed up for our picnic.
Then Tom found somewhere higherThen Tom found somewhere higher
Then Tom found somewhere higher

Of course he took Wheeler!
Sitting BullSitting Bull
Sitting Bull

We found him on the drive out too, so we stopped to take pictures.


19th February 2007

Hey guys! Sorry to hear about the break down. Jess I hope that your doing better. New Mexico was beatiful and it must have been even better actually being there. Glad Wheeler made a friend too bad he had to leave him behind. Hope all is well and it is nice to see the pictures better. Nice camera! I love you cuz and take care. Update: Kids are great Michael is growing up so fast he will start school in August and Mekayla is crawling so fast and pulling herself up on things and she will be a year old on May 5. Love ya both and take care. - Amanda
19th February 2007

Looks like fun!
Glad things are going well and that you're having fun. Enjoy these times to the fullest! Be safe. Much Love, JAP3
19th February 2007

Thats more like it!
Hey kids! Some of the best pics yet; beautiful scenery. Glad to hear you're up and running again (no thanks to Winnebego). Love the road-runner (Jess, I bet you worked hard to get that shot). Have fun, be safe and post more pics - Rich P.S. What a feat! you come up first on google. Maybe you can get some ad money to finance the next leg of your trip.

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb