April Fool's Day


Advertisement
Published: April 2nd 2019
Edit Blog Post

blog 04-01-19 April Fool's Day

I woke up to a red glow on the eastern horizon and frost on my car. The storm blew through during the night leaving the air clear, crisp and cold. But once the sun came out it warmed up quickly.

The day started slowly and never did really pick up much steam. After breakfast I headed to T or C (Truth or Consequences) for an exciting shopping trip to Walmart, a camper's heaven. As I pulled up to the parking lot I noticed that the entire lot had covered parking, how strange was that. The covers as it turned out, were solar panels to power the store, which they did completely. The state has a plan to become completely independent of fossil fuels in the next few years so they are well on their way.

When I got back Lynne had arrived into the park and had her campsite all set for the next 2 weeks. We made a plan to investigate the dam later in the afternoon so I had lunch and a nap in the sunshine, it was delightful.

Not far from the campground is the dam which was built in 1912 to 1916 mostly for flood control and irrigation but a power plant was added later so generating electricity was added to the list.

Way down in the canyon we spotted a deer, first one I've seen here in NM. Far away picture. The dam was quite beautiful with lanterns on top along the walkway. Then we went to the marina and saw the real elephant butte, hope you can tell it's an elephant.

There was a closed resort we went to investigate and in the middle of the parking lot there was a statue of a man representing the CCC (civilian conservation corp) that helped build the state park that surrounds the dam and resulting lake. Watson thought the man was real and barked his head off at him.

It was a nice relaxing day and a quiet night.

Just need to mention something that has been on the news here that I don't see on the national news. I get tv stations from El Paso, TX and the big headlines are the number of refugees coming across the border. For weeks now this is all I've heard and the latest is that they are more than inundated with over 30,000 refugees to deal with. They are asking for churches or other organizations, even private homes to take these people in, the system is so overwhelmed. Why it's not mentioned on the national news, I don't know.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb