Statues of Art, Canadian Tuxedos and Long Earred Squirrels


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » New Mexico » Santa Fe
February 29th 2008
Published: March 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ah, so pious.Ah, so pious.Ah, so pious.

This is the oldest of the oldest Churches in the U.S. For real people!

Come visit, it's purty here




Hello one and all and all the rest of you. Not much to say in this entry -just wanted to send out some new pictures. Brit started school on monday and she's already real tired but extremely excited. I've got to start cooking dinner more often - gotta feed my gal! We've been exploring the area a bit more - hikin', bikin' and ramblin' around.

I broke down and bought another bike (only 20 bucks). It's a small project - an old one speed without a brand name on it. My uncle Mike gave me an idea for the next blog. Theres a guy in town who sells a bunch of old vintage bikes. He just locks them up to various posts around town with his phone number written on cardboard attached to the bikes. There are some really cool bikes. So I'm going to take pictures of them and make all the bike lovers on this blog drool.

The weather here has been pretty nice. It was 70 degrees a few days ago, though the day after that we got two inches of snow. The snow doesn't last long since it's so sunny here. Temperature wise it's a bit warmer than Traverse City, definitely less snow. I will say, since we're at elevation, the nights get much colder on average. Plus it's extremely windy in Santa Fe. 10-15 MPH almost everyday.

I went for a run/hike up in the mountains outside of town on Sunday and I got to watch a storm roll in from the high desert plain. I started at about 7500 feet and got up to around 9100. I plan on taking Brit up there very soon.

Anyway, not much to report otherwise - getting into a routine will do that. I hope all of you continue to enjoy the pics - at least that's new and exciting for everyone. Take care for now, give us a shout if you feel inclined to do so.


Mike and Brit


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Right Next to the Oldest Church....Right Next to the Oldest Church....
Right Next to the Oldest Church....

I'm sure it looks really cool inside. Outside it just looked like a slightly crumbly adobe wall. It shares a court yard with the best pizza joint in town.
Brown Bike Revealed!Brown Bike Revealed!
Brown Bike Revealed!

Brit lookin' cool with her new bike whose name we're still working on. Smokey Jane, Bessie, who knows? Looking at the serial code the bike was made in May of 1972. For a thirty-six year old bike it's in amazing shape.
Big ol' wood Saint StatuesBig ol' wood Saint Statues
Big ol' wood Saint Statues

Just off the downtown area - some really cool woodcuts.
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of AssisiCathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi

Right in the Heart of the Plaza, Downtown......I'm going to let Wikipedia take it from here.........The cathedral was built by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy between 1869 and 1886 on the site of an older adobe church, La Parroquia (built in 1714-1717). An even earlier church on the same site, built in 1626, had been destroyed in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. The new cathedral was built around La Parroquia, which was dismantled once construction was complete. A small chapel on the north side of the cathedral is all that remains of the old church.
Dancing Angel Saint MonkDancing Angel Saint Monk
Dancing Angel Saint Monk

In front of Cathedral Basilica
Canadian TuxedoCanadian Tuxedo
Canadian Tuxedo

I was talking to my pal Charlie Wolf and trying to impress him about my recent purchace of matching Wrangler denim outfit when he informed me that the Movement for this sort of fashion statement started and was perfected by our neighbors to the North. That's okay, I still feel "all strutty like" when I put it on.
Up Canyon RoadUp Canyon Road
Up Canyon Road

Canyon Road in Santa Fe probably has the highest concentration of art galleries in the U.S. Seriously. This place had a large "garden" of metal wind rotating art things. It was really cool. Oh, and don't forget the giant cows.
Giant Dozing GuyGiant Dozing Guy
Giant Dozing Guy

This was in a little courtyard just below the sidewalk up Canyon Road. This thing was really huge and really cool.
Kids on Tree FortKids on Tree Fort
Kids on Tree Fort

This was probably 15 foot high
Horses Horses
Horses

This was one of my favorites


Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb